Wednesday, November 10, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 648


So cold.

I really wanted to get to the cabin today, but I had an appointment and it rained (and was generally miserable) yesterday, so I didn't think I'd make it today.  My brother came up on Saturday, and cut down a tree (apparently, it fell where he didn't want it to and nearly fell him as well--to hear him tell it, he would've lied there, broken and freezing to death, not to be discovered until somebody went up a few days later to investigate why he never came home), and unhooked the bottom cap of the water main, so that, if things froze, the water/ice would push itself out throughout the winter.  

Unfortunately, when I turned on the water today, it came shooting out all over the floor and walls and it took me a good twenty seconds to get it turned off again.  

It's so cold, but I wanted this.  Nobody made me come up here.  I chose to do it.

Sit-ups: 100
Sit-ups In November: 1033

Since the time change made it dark virtually an hour after I arrived, I had many hours to kill before it was time to sleep.  I huddled in front of the pathetically-built fire and read, edited audio, listened to a podcast, played a game on my phone, and kept throwing cardboard and logs on the fire, hoping it would get hot enough so I could function.  Eventually, it did, but I still feel like I've been doing something wrong (last year as well) because there's never much heat coming from the stove, even when I leave the heavy iron doors open and sit in front of it.

I had gotten a movie called HER from Netflix last week, and brought it up to the cabin to watch.  It's about Joachim Phoenix falling in love with an artificial intelligence on his phone, and the package described it as a Romantic Comedy.  But I found it really, really dark and depressing and, frankly, miserable, which may explain why I tried to kill myself with the carbon monoxide poisoning.

But I read the Wikipedia description of the movie when I got home the next day and instead of returning the movie and getting another one, decided to stick it out in my next trip.  Well, that's kind of a laugh, because I was right the first time.  Anyone who describes HER as a Romantic Comedy would probably describe ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND as "another Jim Carrey laugh riot!" and deserves to be shot.  

Maybe not fatally, but in a way that they have to use a cane for a few years.  I not only regret ever renting HER, but I frankly regret being born.

Push-ups: 100
Push-ups In November: 1082

Having reached the catch-up point on my Will Choner story at the library yesterday, I went further today, trying to figure out how to finish it.  I sort of have my work cut out for me because the first story established the boy and his ability, and immediately used it to save a human life.  I fear that these follow-up stories, where he finds a lost turtle or wedding ring or house keys (or worst of all, a cat) are a huge step down in what's interesting.

Words: 982
Words In November: 8240

No comments: