Monday, November 01, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 639

It’s a new month, and I don’t feel particularly like blogging.  Every month, I write up a list of goals and try to hold myself to them, but it feels pretty draining today.  Even writing might be difficult (I sat down and tried to edit the first chapter of “Hatchling,” but I fell asleep within the first five minutes, and then my body said, “No, stay asleep, it’s only 6:30, why bother?), but I forced myself to get up and go to the library, where I could at least get 500 words written.  And I won’t let myself go home until I do.

So sad.

The writing went fairly well, once I made myself actually do it.  Maybe everything is like that.  I guess I'm calling my new story "With My Childhood Friend."  In my mind, that's clever, but I never know anymore.*

Sit-ups Today: 111

Push-ups Today: 171

The other day, I was driving to the library, and there was a car ahead of me, slowing for a red light.  As I approached it, I saw something move in the back seat, and immediately thought it was a person, hunched over there, like in the old urban legend.

As I neared the vehicle (it was a station wagon-type car with two seats and a third section for groceries or personal items or serial killers), I saw that, indeed, there was a man hiding behind the seat, ducked down in the back.  In the famous story, the car following the woman driving at night keeps honking and flashing his lights at her, freaking her out until she finally pulls over in a public place where this car that’s “terrorizing her” can’t drive her off the road.  When she approaches a policeman (or maybe it’s just the gas station attendant, I don’t recall), she discovers that there was a man crouching behind her seat, ostensibly with an axe, and he kept ducking down again whenever the pursuer shone his lights on him.

Now, I assumed this was just a college kid, riding around with other college kids, and there wasn’t room for him on the seats, so he was splayed out in the back, so I never honked or “brighted” them, but I did take a picture to post on my blog.  That’s what we’ve become, kids.

But you're no better--you wouldn't even have taken a picture.

Words Today: 2455

*You could tell me that I'm clever, but that won't take me anyhow, or anywhere with you.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

You talk about how writing sounds way too much to bother with and blah blah blah, and then on the very last line of the post you drop in that you wrote 2455 words today?