Monday, November 22, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 660


A few of my friends growing up had ideas of what they would like to name their children, and with only one exception*, all of my friends had their picks vetoed by their wives, even if they were benign names like Cassandra and Persephone.  I had one friend who wanted to name his son James, after a certain MI-6 agent, and his wife insisted on . . . wait for it . . . Ralph. 

But not my buddy Jeff.  His first son he wanted to name after a character in "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe," and his wife said, "Fine, just don't tell anybody."  They had a second son, and he said, "I want to name this one after a character in 'Dune.'  Instead of filing for divorce, she allowed him to name his child "Duncan Idaho."  And then, his third child, a girl, was due around the 30th of September, and he said, "Why don't we induce on the first of October . . . and we can name the baby October."

And she said, "Sure."

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 2255

So, I guess October's a normal name or something, compared to all the Edyths and Meleneys and Britnees out there, but when she was a little kid, I asked her what her middle name was, and she said she couldn't remember (turned out, she hadn't been given a middle name), and I said, "Oh, didn't you know?  It's Suspiria."  


And Jeff totally backed up my joke, saying, "That's right, we just didn't put it on the birth certificate because we were too tired."  And she just accepted it, and whenever I'd see her, I'd ask what her middle name was, and she would tell me Suspiria.

That amused the heck out of me, but Jeff told me something that blew my mind the other day: he said that, after she'd moved back from Germany to the States, and got her driver's license, she put "Suspiria" on the paperwork for her middle name.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In November: 2537

So, I've been attempting to complete this Outpost story (I don't know why I call it that, it's a planetary colony . . . though I suppose it can be both), and the main female character only had a placeholder name, and today I thought, "I wonder if I could get away with calling her Suspiria?"

I'm at the library, and I'm scrambling to save my document.  I've got 1:25 left before I'm logged out.  I should've come to the library hours ago, but Mondays are always the busiest for me.  Ah well.

Words Today: 519
Words In November: 15,530

*His wife allowed him to name his firstborn daughter after Dax on "Deep Space Nine."  I still can't get my head around that.

No comments: