Saturday, November 06, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 644

My nephew (the thirteen year old) spent the entire day today in bed or on the couch.  When I came home from ETERNALS last night, he was on the couch, awake, and we talked about the movie, despite it being 2:30am, and I made a bed for him on the couch (just because my mom would always complain when any of us slept on the couch without sheets or pillows, claiming that would ruin them, and heck, she's probably right).

But I had no sympathy for him when I woke up the next day, and he was watching TV again, and claimed to have watched it all night long.  He was a fan of this Chicago-based hospital show with an insanely-hot actress in it, and recently watched that whole series, and now he's moved on to . . . ugh, "Grey's Anatomy."

I've always hated "Grey's Anatomy," but not for the reasons everyone else has.  It was first aired, if I recall correctly, as a mid-season replacement (temporary, anyway) for David E. Kelly's "Boston Legal," a series I loved, and not only because it had William Shatner in it (I was so enamored with James Spader on the set of the show that a fellow extra nicknamed me "SpaderLover" in her phone).  And when "Boston Legal" ran out of new episodes, ABC tried "Grey's Anatomy" in the same timeslot . . . and the ratings were spectacular, like, considerably better than "Boston Legal"'s.

So, that became "Grey's Anatomy"'s permanent spot, and the lawyer series had to find a new place to live.  And that's it, not the sappy, big-eyed melodrama, or that lead actress with a voice like an over-ingested helium balloon.  Your displeasure with "Grey's Anatomy" is your own.

Sit-ups: 100 (these were super hard today, and that was BEFORE eating ice cream)
Sit-ups In November: 622

In the afternoon, I tried to get my nephew to come with me to the city, where they do a monthly toy show/trade.  The last time we went was in July (I usually manage every third month or so), and because the movie we were supposed to be working on today got postponed (twice), we were free to go.  But he refused, insisting on laying there and watching TV for another few hours.

I ended up driving up there on my own (as I believe I did in July), in an attempt to be social and do something with my Saturday afternoon.  There were some familiar faces there, and some folks I’d never met before, and I bought a couple of toys, and talked to a bunch more people.  One of them casually mentioned that he worked for the television station that Big Anklevich (and I) used to work at.  He also asked me why I kept coming around his booth if I wasn’t going to buy anything.*

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In November: 682

It was the end of the night, and I had done the absolute minimum of exercise allowed by law, so I sat down to watch some TV.  I had heard a lot of good things about the HBO series "Succession," so I decided to watch the first episode of that and see if it was to my liking.

The HBO logo came up, and then a few seconds of darkness, as an unseen character (presumably Brian Cox) gets up in the middle of the night.  I felt guilty, paused the TV, and went in to record another chapter of "Hatchling," or my recent story "Here With My Childhood Friend," and made it about a half hour before I lost interest.  I guess my nephew's not the only slacker in the family. 

Words Today: 107
Words In November: 5589

*It kind of reminds me of when I was talking to (actor) Kevin McCarthy at the Twilight Zone convention, and this kid kept interrupting, asking what movies he'd been in then saying, "Never heard of it," and finally McCarthy said to the kid, "Look, are you gonna buy anything?" and when the kid said he wasn't, snapped, "Then get the hell out of here!"



No comments: