Friday, November 05, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 643

I'm at the library again, and after the frankly sad number of words I wrote at the cabin yesterday and the day before (but hey, I got lots of recording--two podcasts and two stories--done, and edited a full episode and four chapters of an audiobook), I thought I'd come over for an hour or two, and see if I couldn't raise those numbers.  I should not care about the numbers (and mostly, I don't), but there's a good feeling you get when you do the word count and it's in the thousands, as opposed to the hundreds (or teens).

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 522

My cousin and I went to see THE ETERNALS, the latest of the Marvel Studios releases.  There had been a lot of bad buzz about it these last couple of weeks, and it's the only MCU film to get a "rotten" on Rotten Tomatoes.  I thought it was interesting, with impressive visuals, and way too many characters.  It's actually pretty amazing that somebody somewhere thought they could satisfyingly introduce ten main titular characters, a love interest or two, and a villain, and that we could keep it all straight.


I was particularly upset that the movie name-dropped both Superman and Batman, but Big Anklevich pointed out how SPIDER-MAN name-dropped Superman in 2002, and I loved that like it was donut-flavored Pepsi.  Sigh.

A few things in the movie didn’t really work, but I’ve got to say, even if it’s the first “rotten” MCU movie, and if it doesn’t make its money back, it was one of the more ambitious films of the last ten years . . . and it’s always better if a movie swings for the fences and fails than doesn’t aspire to anything and fails.  You know?

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In November: 582

I wrote for a little while, then lost interest, but I really shouldn't have--I emailed myself the Will Choner story I started last year, and was trying to format it into MS Word (you'd be surprised how much of a pain that is, in addition to just figuring out where the new paragraphs are), and tried to add little details to the book.  Even though it was only a year ago, I didn't recognize much of what I had written, and when a girl hires Will to find her lost cat, I had no idea how it was going to turn out.

Sometimes I wish I were a real, professional writer.  Of course, I sometimes wish I were Al Pacino's butt double, like Joey Tribbiani in the first season of "Friends."  Remember that?  "He goes into the shower, and then I'm his butt."

Words Today: 1425
Push-ups In November: 5482

No comments: