Wednesday, November 24, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 662

It’s the day before Thanksgiving, which isn’t a holiday, but might as well be.  I went to three different Walmarts today, and all three were busier than they usually are, especially the last one, which is often unusually busy.  It makes me remember back to the early days of the pandemic, when there was no toilet paper or bottled water or soup or adult diapers, and the line outside Costco went off into the horizon.*  Good times.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 2466

So, here I am at the library—three nights in a row—with about an hour left before closing.  I haven’t written a word, but I did attempt to read an article about the first-ever female prime minister in Sweden, and how she resigned after seven hours . . . but I couldn’t make heads or tails of it.  Either it was incredibly badly-written, or I am even dumber than usual.

I changed my mind about the gender-swapping I did of two characters on Monday, and changed the boy to a girl and the woman to a man.  You’d think it was a major waste of time, but it gave me more than five hundred words, going through and rewriting the scene yet again.  I also changed the character’s name to Suspiria, "Speer" for short.  I will consider this a minor triumph in 2021 if I finish this story.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In November: 2762

I got an email from Abbie Hilton, telling me she had a novella for me to narrate.  She wasted no air asking if I'd do it, just said, "Here's the file, here's what I'll pay you, can you have it done by New Year's?"  In some ways, I admire the heck out of that (that's the major league chutzpa that would've made me a success in life--and I've never used that word in all my days**), and in others, it's pretty scary.  But I'll buckle down, read through the story, find a typo, read the dialogue aloud, and sit down and get this sucker recorded . . . and it will turn out excellent, I just know it.

That's some low-level chutzpa, at least.

Words Today: 610
Words 
In November: 16,723

*And people have already forgotten all about that.

**Which means I'll encounter it half a dozen times in the coming week.  That's The Baader–Meinhof Phenomenon, fellas.

No comments: