Friday, November 19, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 657


So, it's Friday today, and I ran over to the library for a little while, hoping to get at least as many words as I wrote yesterday.  The scene I was writing last night (I kept it up until about 2:30am, then went to bed) is a bit of an homage to the scene that most terrified me in Stephen King's "The Stand,' when I read it as a teenager. 

I know I do this a little too often to be believed, but there's another crazy person talking to themselves on the second floor of the library right now.  Normally, I'd just let it go--it's not really worth blogging about, especially since someone who overheard me trying to do the part of a British person with a German accent in the Dan Simmons book I'm reading (Abominable) would surely think that I'm crazy too (and be right), but the guy just said, "I'll kill you," twice.

That's not something you usually hear at the public library, at least not outside the Children's Wing.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 1955

On my Outpost story, I opened the original document and started reading from the beginning, fixing typos and adding in "he saids" and "she saids."  Guess I'm not quite over my outrage over the podcast lady yet.  Before I knew it, it was time to go.  It would be super sweet if I got back into this book (it's surely a book, since it's 25,000 words long already) and worked it through to the end.  Guess I already said that, but at this point, I've said everything once.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In November: 2215

So, tonight my cousin and I took my (13 year old) nephew to GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE.  I mentioned how much I loved the second trailer back in July, and thought, "These guys get it," and had argued with everybody I encountered that the original '84 film was not a Comedy but a serious Horror/Action film that happened to feature funny characters.*

I think, after James Bond, I had anticipated GHOSTBUSTERS 3 over everything else this year, including BLACK WIDOW.  

Well, it was a good film, though with a couple of misses in there.  Probably not as great as that second trailer was, but a fine continuation of the franchise.  I'd like to go into more detail, but it's days later and I never posted this, so I guess this is where it'll have to stay.

I was especially impressed by the ending of the film--or rather, the special effects of one moment at the end of the film, which did that digital recreation of a character thing that I am hyper critical of (in movies like ROGUE ONE, THE MUMMY RETURNS, THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, and "Mandalorian").  I really responded to it, but I did read an article that said it was heavy-handed, ghastly, and ruined the movie for the reviewer.  It's interesting how people experience things so differently.

My buddy Jeff saw it on opening night in Germany, and I emailed him to tell him how much I liked it, and how similar to THE FORCE AWAKENS it is in structure.  He took great umbrage with that, saying TFA was just a remake of STAR WARS (as a bunch of people have said, to which I disagree), but it is what it is.

Words Today: 519
Words In November: 13,139

*I still stand by my assessment.

No comments: