Thursday, January 27, 2022

January Sweeps - Day 726

I recorded a number of stories over the summer from a big book of British ghost stories, and today I had to decide which would be the next one to appear on The Podcast That Dares Its Name.

I picked a story by Tony Richards, which I already recorded an episode about (back in November), but discovered that he is still alive, and the story in question seems to have been published in 2010 (which simply isn't possible, since the anthology was from 2001).  So, now I feel weird about it.*

Then I decided on the other M.R. James story I recorded last summer (after having done "Casting the Runes").  This one is relevant because it's the OPPOSITE of the first one, which I recorded in an American accent and absolutely shouldn't have--I did it all in an English accent, but realized by the end that it could have been just in my own voice, and the rest of the characters could have English accents.

There is an Irish character in there, the bane of my voicework existence, so I pity any listener who has a problem with a terrible American leprechaun voice in their audio fiction.  But for those of you who love bad accents, you're in for a treat.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In January: 2716

Alright, I'm back at the library and I'm finishing my short story.  Again.

Push-ups Today: 250
Push-ups In January: 2800

Again, I didn't make it.  I'm two minutes later than when I left yesterday, and it hasn't logged me off.  What the hell, dude? 

Alright, I finally finished "The Dark Gift."  Again.  The thing that's really strange is, when I got to "the end" the second time, it took more than twice the number of words (1569 versus 608) than it did the first time.  I can't really explain or get my head around that.  But ah well, at least the story's done (it came in at just over 9000 words, which is longish, but probably fine).

Words Today: 1079 
Words In January: 17,771

*I found Tony on Facebook and sent him a message, so we'll see if that comes to anything.

No comments: