Tuesday, January 25, 2022

January Sweeps - Day 724

Okay, let's finish this sucker.

I'm at the library, and I think I can finish my short story, if I apply myself.  But that's the real trick, in'it, as Han Solo said.

I mentioned Dave Wolverton the other day, and how he had said that putting obstacles in the way of your character achieving their goals is what makes a novel.  I couldn't help but notice those obstacles in "Falling," the book I'm currently reading.  In it, an airline pilot's family is kidnapped, and their lives are threatened unless he kills the passengers and crashes the plane.*  Well, he comes up with a plan, and obstacles just keep popping up, preventing things from going his way.  It was masterfully done, and I hope I can learn a lesson or two from its example.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In January: 2505

Oh, the Cast of Wonders podcast asked me for another narration.  At this point, I just accept the assignment without even reading the story.

And now, it's time to leave the library.  Yet again, I came up short.  This time, though, I was SOOOO close.  If I had decided to stay until closing instead of going to my cousin's, I'd have finished.  Although I haven't decided how it should end, so I'm oversimplifying.  It's over seven thousand words long now.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In January: 2439

I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about tonight's episode of "The Book of Boba Fett."  After the lacklusterness of all but one of the previous episodes, tonight . . . we got an episode of "The Mandalorian."  And the difference was all too clear.  

It was magical and violent and fun and interesting and filled with recognizable things, and I loved it.  So, I guess it's not the "Book of Boba Fett" show that I don't like, but the Boba Fett show that I don't like.

Words Today: 1510
Words In January: 15,594

*Sorry if that sounds spoilery, it's given away on the book jacket.  And that basically sums up the beginning of the book.

No comments: