Friday, January 21, 2022

January Sweeps - Day 720

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In January: 2044

A stranger told me that Meat Loaf had died today.  I was in a waiting room, and there was this aging stoner who was telling anybody who cared about Meat Loaf dying of COVID after recovering from back surgery, and I was sad to hear it.  The guy really wanted to tell somebody about his love for Meat Loaf, and I was a receptive audience (at least for the two minutes I was sitting there).  He also told me that comedian Louie Anderson died, but I couldn't call myself a fan (even though he was a fine stand-up).


When Jim Steinman (who wrote the majority of Meat Loaf's hit songs) died last year, I remarked how much I loved his music, though I wasn't aware of him until recently.  Meat Loaf was a pretty similar situation, as I really only knew the hit song he had in 1993* (later), and the follow-up in 1995.**  But it was really a dozen years ago, when my family went out to a karaoke restaurant, and this heavyset dude sang an impassioned "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad," that I thought, "Dang, I ought to listen to some Meat Loaf songs," and grabbed his excellent "Bat Out of Hell" album.


And I became a fan.  There was something so profound and bombastic about his music that it really spoke to me, and I especially enjoyed listening to his songs while running these past two years.  Meat Loaf died from complications of COVD.  He was seventy-four.


Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In January: 1878

I asked Fake Sean Connery to record a song for me today, and he kept screwing up one line (so much so that I started over again at one point).  I had picked the song because it's been particularly challenging for me to sing in my own voice, but except for one line, it was easier than in my own voice.  So weird.

Words Today: 569
Words In January: 11,676

*"I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)."

**I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)."

No comments: