Wednesday, January 19, 2022

January Sweeps - Day 718

In my outpost outbreak story (now novel), I had a lil subplot in mind (a year ago) where the main character leaves his city and goes to the neighboring one to rescue a little boy he's been communicating with over the phone.*  It was just supposed to be a three or four thousand word chapter where Atticus walks over there, meets the boy, and they walk back (I changed it to them driving back [the boy can drive a golf cart--cutting-edge technology, I know]).  Unfortunately, when I wrote it, I started describing an empty town, and how different it was from when Att came from, and had them gather provisions, and then drive past the zoo and decide to look at the animals inside, and it just away from me.  I don't regret it, I just would've liked to have been done with the book by now.  So today, my goal is to get them out of town and back to where the story can continue.  We'll see how I do.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In January: 1833

Well, I achieved my goal, getting Atticus and Daniel to the gates of the town, where I imagine they'll encounter a man who has gone insane or something (I have no idea, really--just came up with that as I typed this), then I can get back to my original idea, which means I'm 75 or 80% finished.  I'm going way too slowly on this book, compared to how I was in 2020 and 2021.  But hey, any previous year, I'd have been pretty psyched to be nearly fifty thousand words into a project--any project.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In January: 1678

I saw these three books on display together at the library, and for some reason they struck me as being all the same.  Same font, same style, same . . . something (they all say "A Novel" on the front cover too).  Enough, at least, for me to believe that they were part of a series or something, which they were not.


The month is already two-thirds over, and I feel I haven't accomplished a thing.  Does everybody feel that?  All the time?

Words Today: 769
Words In January: 10,475

*I am not a Sci-Fi writer, and I simply cannot come up with new technologies or breakthroughs or slang words so that it sounds like it takes place in 150 years.  Sadly, that means people use phones and computers and say words like "man" and "hey" a lot.  A man's gotta know his limitations.  (or woman)

No comments: