Saturday, January 22, 2022

January Sweeps - Day 721


"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."
Dan Quayle 

I discovered that wonderful quote today.  It makes my head spin that I never heard it before now (I only remembered the "potatoe" debacle and the "You're no Jack Kennedy" attack on Vice President Quayle, but it's a real keeper).


I'd bet serious money that no Millennial or Zoomer would even recognize Quayle's name, let alone his significance (if any).

Man, I had no time today at the library.  But it was my own fault.  I knew it closed early, and I chose to play a video game, then go to the storage unit (that I sort of had to do before it got dark at five), and then came here.

Now it's time to go, and I'm very close to finishing "The Dark Gift," another mediocre story from the mind of Monsieur Outfield.

I've decided to stop blogging on the thirty-first, so this will be the last time you hear me (read me) say that I hate that the library closes three hours early on Saturdays.  It was pretty much packed with people today, maybe a record, and I could have finished "The Dark Gift" if I'd been more dedicated.*

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In January: 2155

Tonight was Saturday, my eleven year old nephew didn't want to go to bed, and I told him he could stay up and watch "Saturday Night Live" with me.  It was something my own uncle did with me from when I was about eight years old (I would struggle soooooooo hard to make it to 11:30, and end up falling asleep five minutes in), but my sister told me my nephew had to go to bed.  "But he and I are going to watch THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW," I whined.

"Absolutely not!" she said, which was funnier than my joke suggestion.

**

"But what about ENCANTO?" I asked.  "I need to find out why they don't talk about Bruno."

She said okay, so we sat down and started watching that.  And I gotta say, it was fantastic, right up there with the best Disney has produced, and I was crying within ten minutes, those lovely flowing tears that drip constantly onto my shirt and ensure I'll be sleeping alone for the rest of my days.  I had heard pretty good things about the movie, but the only thing people said that was great about it was the songs, and the sound on the television was bad enough I couldn't really understand the lyrics (my brother-in-law put one of those soundbars in to fix that problem, but I never turn it on, since I only watch the TV at night).  

The animation was astounding good, the character designs were unique and hyper-detailed, the color palate was so broad and wild it made me think I'd been licking toads again, and the storyline was solid and compelling from the fudgin' beginning.  Wow.

And then the movie just ended.  I swear I hadn't fallen asleep (I had run on the treadmill and told myself I would do double the push-ups and sit-ups than I usually do--only managed half my goal), but there was all this disaster, all this problem, and then, everything was fine.  I somehow missed how they fixed everything, and how Mirabel used her gift of determination to restore everyone's magical gifts.  I find that puzzling.  

Push-ups Today: 200
Push-ups In January: 2078

Well, I probably listened to "We Don't Talk About Bruno" twenty times on Sunday.  Guess it's true what they say.

Words Today: 669
Words In January: 12,345
(wow, look at that--12345!)

*Yeah, yeah, you could say that about everything.  

**I did end up watching this movie a couple of nights later, but it was very weak and mostly boring.


No comments: