Wednesday, October 27, 2021

October Sweeps - Day 634

Feeling sorry for myself today.  Not sure if I'm going to the cabin or not.  Let me decide right now and get back to you.

Alright, I've decided.  I can't go until later this afternoon, but I'll get my work done now, and call that something positive.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 2816

I came to the cabin again, kind of last minute.  My brother-in-law's birthday is today, so his grown son came down and he took the day off from work, and said he was going to go fishing (which invariably involves taking my dad's truck), so I figured, "Well, I'll just have to skip the cabin this week.  Maybe next week I'll go and that'll be it for the season."  But to my surprise, he took some fishing poles out of the truck and put them in his car so he could go fishing that way, leaving me free to drive up into the mountains again.

Happy birthday to me too.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In Octobre: 3224

I got up here, thinking I might have made it fine in my car, but once I got to the lake, there was fresh snow everywhere, and a long stretch of road with no tire tracks in it, meaning nobody else was up here except me.  I got the truck stuck again, but just momentarily, and got here to the cabin, where there was no one around, and I could sing as loud as I wanted.  It is cold today--in the thirties both inside and outside the cabin.  But I started the fire, and it's now gotten up to forty-one degrees in here . . . which is still miserable cold, but hey, another few degrees and I won't be able to see my breath anymore.

I must just be the world's worst fire-builder, because it took HOURS for the cabin to be even moderately warm enough to function in.  And it's possible that it's that there's all these huge windows along the walls, especially where the table is and I'm working, and the cold gets in that way, but I put on an extra layer of clothes, and at one point did that thing where I put a sock on the stove, then put it on my foot, while the other sock was on the stove, but that stopped when one of the socks suddenly shriveled and burned the moment it was on the stove (unless I blacked out or something, and it was on there for a full minute instead of two or three seconds).

I started and restarted the computer over and over again, angry and frustrated, just wanting the sound to work, and stupidly figuring it would just come back on its own (I went through a tech support chat last week, and downloaded a new audio driver, but reinstalling that does absolutely no good, and I can't say why the sound sometimes comes back after a reboot and sometimes doesn't), but I've got to say that the relief I feel when the sound finally does come back (this was after, no exaggeration, ten or eleven restarts) is tantamount to losing your kid in a store or a convention (which happens plenty to me, this week included).

I hate the cold.  I burned almost every single log I'd stacked three weeks ago, and then some, having brought a couple up from outside, but not wanting to use them because they were snow-covered.

For my night's entertainment, I watched UNKNOWN, the Liam Neeson movie from 2011, which I had seen when it came out, but couldn't really remember for some reason (in a mystery movie like that, it's kind of a blessing not to remember it, so you can puzzle it out again--same thing happened with KNIVES OUT, where I had forgotten enough details to rewatch it just this year), but enjoyed a second time.

Words Today: 1802
Words In Octubre: 20,559


No comments: