Sunday, October 24, 2021

October Sweeps - Day 631

I woke up insanely early once again this morning, before there was any light in the sky.  And once again, I just ignored it, walking over to restart the computer again (to get sound), then went back to bed.

I finished my Dead & Breakfast Christmas story last night* but guess what, it's sort of unfinished today.  It looks like I did save the document at 1:59am, so it could've been a hell of a lot worse (I imagine it was only two or three paragraphs I'll have to redo).  That's something I could do today before my regular alarm goes off, or I could grab an unfinished document (like the Will Choner one from, when was it, last year?) and work on that.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 2505

Yesterday was dark and cloudy (I was honestly surprised there was any juice in the solar batteries, but they must have charged days ago), but today is sunny and the sky is blue.  Even though the sun is still low in the sky, the temperature is warming up, and the snow on the roof  is melting fast enough it looks like it's raining through the east side windows.


Push-ups Today: 200
Push-ups In Octobre: 2924

I sat down and recorded a Robert Bloch story, and nearly finished editing another Outcast show (a now-outdated one from back in June).

I made lunch, and listened to Campfire Radio Theater, a Horror audio drama with the absolutely best sound quality and voicework.  Every year or two, they ask me to do a voice on their show, and I'm always jealous of the shows I don't get to work on.  I get the impression (and I could be up in the night, as they used to say in my hometown) that the show isn't all that popular, but man, it should be.


While listening to the latest episode ("The Ghost of Lorie Keegan"), I was reminded of when I was in Fifth Grade, and how they had built a new elementary school in my town, but it was right next to the old school, which had not yet been torn down.  It was a big, ugly building built around the Depression (man, it might even have been before the Depression), where I had gone to Kindergarten through Fourth Grade, and they had built a fence around it, but it was still a rite of passage to sneak inside and run around, laughing and screaming and daring one another to go into the bathrooms or the gym or--gasp!--the girls locker room upstairs.  I vaguely recall getting caught in there one time and having to go to the principal's office, but I also remember escaping unpunished on one or two other occasions.


The old school was a dark, empty, haunted-feeling place, and I've never written about it.  So I wondered what kind of story could be told about that, about being ten years old and "bravely" sneaking inside the off-limits building.  I would think it would be a horror story, naturally, but something about there being a tragic accident in the abandoned school that haunts the main character into his/her adulthood?  Or of a kid getting dared to go in there encountering something that lives in the school--and what happens to that presence when the school is bulldozed to the ground?

I started to read my book when the sound went out on my computer again (I restarted it, and there was nothing.  I restarted it three times more, and there was still no sound), but then fell asleep, and I slept too long, and felt all groggy and worthless after that.  Plus, dark clouds had rolled in, and it seemed much later than it was.  Finally, upset at my computer (I couldn't get any more editing done, or even listen to another podcast), I packed up my things and got in the truck.

I couldn't figure out how to get the truck out of 4 Wheel Drive, despite there being a knob to do it on the dashboard.  The truck did not want to go places in that setting, so I hiked up to where I could send my sister a text to ask my brother-in-law how to get it to go back into 2 Wheel Drive.  Again, feel free to mock me if you already knew the answer to this, but he said I had to shift into Reverse, go backwards, and then flip the switch to 2 Wheel Drive again.

Yes, it makes total sense, right?  


I made it home alright.

Oh, and one more thing, Gunther from "Friends" died today.  I'm not sure if that's significant, but hey, I loved that show, so I ought to say something.  So long, Gunther (I hope there was an episode I missed where he got it on with Rachel . . . but I didn't miss many).


Words Today: 865
Words In Octubre: 15,543

*When I say "finished," I typed "the end" at the point where the story concludes, but it's in really rough, absolutely unpublishable shape (I basically wrote it in fits and starts in various locations, and it will need a substantial rewrite just to get something coherent out of it (plus, I need to get the characters' names straight, instead of just ___ and "the janitor" and "the handyman").

No comments: