Sunday, October 03, 2021

October Sweeps - Day 610

I pretty much got no writing done today.  It wasn't for lack of trying--I sat down with my microphone and tried to re-record the lost audio chapters of "Underdecorated," but the phone rang before too long, and my friend invited me to go watch SPECTRE (the 2015 Bond film) with him, in preparation for NO TIME TO DIE, which comes out this week.

I remember not liking the ending of SPECTRE, back in 2015, and over the years, it's gotten the reputation of being one of the stinkers in the series.  But watching it again, there were a lot of really solid moments, and I like the French girl quite a bit.  The movie really starts to drag at the end, and as great as Christophe Waltz is in most things, his Blofeld just talks way too much, chattering on and on so much that the few good lines he has ("The daughter of an assassin: the only woman who could ever have understood you.") get buried in just pages of babble.  And the finale, with clues and an elaborate trail to follow (featuring photos of characters from previous entries in the series), pretty much squanders what came before.  I remembering being so disappointed that Blofeld was introduced--and defeated--in the same movie, and felt a little less upset, now that we know he's coming back in the next one.

Even so, to just have him escape after Bond has gone of with Madeline Swann at the end would've gone a long way to satisfying me in the end.

Still, Jeff insisted that it was not as good as QUANTUM OF SOLACE, which is so badly made that, if it had a decent script, you'd never knowing under the incompetence, so not everyone was pleasantly surprised.  Regardless, I want to see the last one now more than ever.*

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 351

I was driving down the main road through town this afternoon, and a bunch of cars were honking, even though traffic was minimal.  When I got up closer, I saw another person honk at a black SUV, and couldn't figure out what they were doing wro--

Then I saw it.  Their gas cover was open, and sticking out of it was the entire nozzle of a gas station pump, along with the hose dragging down below it.  Guess they had driven off without disconnecting, torn the whole thing off the machine, and not noticed.  Finally someone got his attention, hopped out of their car, and pulled it out for them, handing the gas pump through the window for the driver.  Embarrassing.

Push-ups Today: 150
Push-ups In October: 390

Big and I have this writer friend, Jason Sanford, who published his first novel ("Plague Birds," which was based on a story we presented on our podcast about ten years ago--maybe twelve), and Jason wanted to talk about it, so Big set up this interview with him, but it apparently had to be over Zoom.  I had used Zoom once, when talking to those producers last year about the script I was writing, but it had been on my laptop, so I could hear the other guys but I couldn't see them.  


This time, I installed Zoom on my phone, and I was out and about, trying to find Marvel figures (they've been hitting all at once--four waves at the same time, which has never happened before--and I was driving around trying to find them, sort of like Pokemon Go or something), but I just pulled into an empty parking lot and had the conversation with the guy.

I thought it went well--and Jason claimed that he wouldn't have written the novel if it weren't for us running it on our show and it drawing so much positive attention, which, true or not, was a very nice thing to say--and though Sanford's an astoundingly good writer, he mentioned that he still has a full time job, and just writes on the side.  

Words Today: 137
Words In October: 1616

*Yes, I said "last one."  You know what I mean.

No comments: