Monday, October 04, 2021

October Sweeps - Day 611

I realize I talk about Taylor Swift a lot on this blog (or on my podcast, or in my stories--having thrown Swift references four or five times in my Lara & the Witch novel), but allow me to do so once more.  I got her latest (at least I assume it's her latest, she puts out an album every six months or so) record from the library the other day, hoping to listen to it when I finished the audiobook I've been listening to on my drives.  And I finally got tired of the endless discs of the audiobook (Fantasy novels have to be the most sprawling, overlong books of all the genres, since their readers have absolutely no problem with a Brandon Sanderson book that's twice the length it should be), and popped in the album.

And except for the two singles I heard on the radio, none of the songs were particularly good.  It gave me pause: why do I love Taylor Swift so much, really?  


But hey, there's a reason none of those other songs were singles.  Unless you're young, we've all bought albums before because we loved a song on the radio, only to find out it was the only great (or even good) song on the album.  I guess this is like that.  

Her stuff still speaks to me, but every once in a while there are stinkers, like that song where she blames the patriarchy for not being as successful as Leonardo DiCaprio.*  You can't only write perfect songs.  Heck, I write stories, and even I don't love them all.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 462

Push-ups Today: 200
Push-ups In October: 590

Words Today: 344
Words In October: 1960

*I did a quick check, and Taylor Swift is worth twice what DiCaprio is, so so much for that load of righteous indignation.



No comments: