Thursday, July 29, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 544

I awoke before my alarm, but well after dawn, and actually wrote more before I would normally have gotten up than I did all day yesterday.  That gives me liberty to do what I like today.  And that will include recording a short story (probably in the main bedroom, which seems the quietest--there is a clock ticking here, the sounds of the roof ticking and popping above me, and whatever sounds come through the closed windows).  I can hear some construction equipment down the road working on a new cabin, and it's practically loud enough to shake the walls--amazing.  

If I were a true professional, I'd go down to my dad's room in the basement--where I never go--because it is a cold, dark room with absolutely no windows or warmth, and might actually be like recording in an audio booth, since it's practically a vault rather than a bedroom.

The dank room

Well, I waited too long.  Just now, there was a boom of thunder--shockingly, louder than even the construction equipment--and as I sat, watching the fawn play in the grass next door, the sky darkened, and the rain is going to be coming again.  If I had gone down and recorded my story, instead of blogging about Indiana Jones and trying to edit audio (for a story I will never release in audio--I mean, there are stories I finished the audio of over a year ago that I have never put out.  Which is a monumental waste of time, in my opinion.  Like this blog), I'd be halfway through (or close to done) before pausing and saying, "Was that thunder?  Wow, that must have been loud!"

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In July: 2849

The other day, I mentioned Indiana Jones in my blog, and how successful INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL was (even a dozen years later, that title is a bit of a stinker), and yet the franchise just sits, like a banana cream pie that no one has eaten, turning more and more brown, for absolutely no reason (of course, Steven Spielberg is the reason, just as George Lucas was the reason we didn't get a fourth Indy film for nineteen years).

And I thought, "Hmm, maybe I could write an Indy story.  Set it between TEMPLE OF DOOM and RAIDERS, and put it out next year around the time the new movie is released."  It just seemed fun.

Push-ups Today: 201
Push-ups In July: 3131

Does elevation affect the rate of decay?  I ask because, as I've mentioned (ad nauseum), it is much harder to run or do push-ups here in the mountains than it is at home (and I have to wonder if it would be even easier out on the coast, at sea level).  Well, a month or so back, I bought a loaf of bread to make sandwiches with, and I forgot it here at the cabin and didn't come back for a week . . . but I was surprised that it hadn't gotten moldy.  At home, bread is usually going bad if not eaten in four or five days (heck, donuts tend to get stale after two days, in my experience*).  But here, they were fine, and I believe might have stayed fine if I had left them here another week.

Anyway, I bought a loaf of bread last week and left it here again, and there's no mold, no discoloration, and I'm going to eat some sandwiches with it, for a late lunch.

Lunch was late because, as soon as the thunder started repeating, I went downstairs and recorded the story for the future episode, then discovered the battery had died, got a new battery, finished the rerecording, and decided to just do an episode for it right now.  Only then did I eat.

I feel like I accomplished something today, besides playing four games of Solitaire and taking a half hour nap.

Words Today: 1259
Words In July: 25,539

*And hey, could I do it over again, I would dedicate my life to the study and appreciation of donuts.

No comments: