Sunday, July 25, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 540


Well, July is pretty much over, and that's too bad.  Yes, it's been hot, and fairly miserable for one and all, but I will miss it--traditionally the last month of pure summer, with no back-to-school shopping or classes commencing, with long days not yet getting shorter (although they are, technically), and still possibilities.

I went to a toy store today, and a guy came in, absolutely fuming about the new "Masters of the Universe" series.  The poor guy wanted to vent--to strangers--about how much he hated the new show, how betrayed he felt by Kevin Smith, and how Mark Hamill should've known better (having experience denigrating a beloved character by appearing in THE LAST JEDI and RISE OF SKYWALKER).  I hadn't watched "MOTU: Revelation," but I had heard a lot of anger and outrage and spoilers and condemnation about it over the last three or four days.

The clerk at the store did not engage with the upset fanboy, but I made the mistake of saying, "A lot of people on the internet sure didn't like it," because the guy followed me around the store, going on and on about Teela and Orko and Skeletor and He-man and Kevin Smith and how the show premiered on his birthday and it was a present he wished he could return.  

I took off as quickly as I could, hoping that I have never sounded quite like that guy (but I'm probably exactly like him, only not as tall), and called Big Anklevich at work.  This was the second week in a row he's had to work on his day off (somebody quit, and they hired a new person to replace him, and then she quit too while they were training her), and to my surprise, because of the Olympics, he could talk as long as I wanted.  We ended up on the phone for two good hours, and he basically kept me company as I went from store to store, finding nothing, but still managing to run down my gas tank.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 2649

It was a week ago I fell down during my run, hit the sidewalk, and fell onto the street, and I'm pretty much recovered (except for my knee, which isn't even worth taking a picture of).  I thought I'd show you what my palms look like a week later, but really, the only time they hurt is when I grab something in the wrong way* and put pressure on the edge of the scabs.  

Except for on the dam (during daylight) at the cabin, I have not gone running again since it happened, and if I had been less busy tonight with work (I listed eighty-three figures, only about seven of which will probably sell), I would've picked today to resume my run (guess I could still go out later, if I wanted to, but I am skittish about running in the dark again--I could just stay off the sidewalk: both times I've fallen while running have been when I got off the road and onto the uneven sidewalk).


Instead, I rode my new bicycle around the cul-de-sac with my nephew (he's got this little red push bike with no pedals--I don't know what they call them), and then asked if he wanted to go to the bike trail beside the park and do it again, only with his big boy bike (with training wheels).  He was amenable, and my sister had to go to work, so I loaded the new bike and my nephew's into the bed of the truck and drove us over there).  There were a ton of people biking, skating, and jogging on that path, and it made me want to go jogging there myself sometime, just to be around other people.  Maybe tomorrow.

My nephew was really fun, though of course he couldn't keep up with me, even in my slowest gear.  He also didn't understand staying on our side of the trail, and weaved back and forth like a high school guidance counsellor itching for another D.U.I..  And then, after about eight or nine minutes of riding, he proclaimed that he was done and we should go home.  So we turned around and left.  Still, it counts as exercise--and even if it technically doesn't, I'm counting it.

Push-ups Today: 116
Push-ups In July: 2630

Words Today: 1123
Words In July: 23,311

*My grandmother used to warn me about grabbing it in the wrong way, but I have to admit I didn't pay too much attention.




1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

I believe they are called balance bikes. I think they're supposed to get you used to balancing so that you never have to use a bike with training wheels, but just move straight to the regular bikes. Sounds like he's doing the training wheels anyway, though.