Saturday, July 17, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 532

Well, I felt a bit cowardly about yesterday, getting up and leaving when the crazy guy said "Black black black book of Satan" (not sure if Book should be capitalized or not--I'll ask somebody).  But I mentioned it to Big when he was finally leaving work for home (he works until about 10:45pm his time, I'm guessing), and he told me it was not weak to take off around a person like that, but that it was much dumber to stick around, because you never know what a crazy person will do.

And once he said that, I couldn't help but agree with him, and thought that, even though I still got a solid thousand words in, I would've gotten a lot more had I just gone downstairs (or elsewhere upstairs) once he started jabbering incoherently and distracting me from what I was there to do.

At one point, a librarian came by and I fully expected her to say something to the crazy person, such as, "I know discrimination is generally frowned upon, especially in this enlightened/woke modern age, but you're a white male, so kindly get the fuck out of here," but honestly, all the librarian did was check to see the guy was not talking on a cellphone, and then walked away.  Not like she had to listen to or be around it.

And afterward, I saw the skinny male librarian walking around, the one who tried to explain to me the difference between the Comics section and the Graphic Novels section of the library, and I envisioned a scenario where I said to him, "Jeez, that dude sitting next to me was as crazy as somebody who's okay with the main character of 'Star Trek: Discovery' being named Michael," and he said, "What do you mean?" and I said, "Well, it's a woman, but her first name is Michael," and he said, "No, I get that, but what do you mean about a dude?"  And I said, "He was out of his mind, you should've heard him.  He was as mentally unwell as a gay black kid who attends a Trump rally."

And the librarian said, "Um, sorry, there was never anybody sitting next to you."


Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In July: 1789

Today is Saturday, and I didn't use my time well at all.  I have a fishtank, and even though there's an algae-eater and a filter in the aquarium, I still try to clean it once every ten days or so.  I did that today, and watched some more YouTube videos, and engaged with a bunch of people on Facebook (that was, I'll admit, an even bigger waste of time than usual).  I could easily have used an hour that I blew today getting another Storage Unit video edited, or finished the next Outcast episode I plan to put out.*  But I didn't.

I also could've interacted with Gino, asking him if he still wants to do a podcast sometime, like we planned back in, oh, August, was it?

Push-ups Today: 40 (I did these on the floor, and it was agony.  I won't be doing any more.  Ever again.  I don't care how many your hot sister can do)
Push-ups In July: 2162

I pasted the entirety of the new story (is it "When You Need It Most?") into the Word Counter, and we're at thirty-two thousand words already.  So, I guess it's a novel for sure.  Although if somebody held a gun to my head and said it could only be thirty-five, I could finish it that quickly.  I always find areas to expand, myself.

The story is basically about Lara and her interactions with this magical high school kid named Devon, but there are bits with her new friend Esme and her fake parents, the McAllisters.  I have an arc in mind with the parents, but I'm not sure what to do with Esme.  

Words Today: 713 (honestly, I could've done more words today--probably should have.  But 7/13 is my birthday, and I took it as a sign that I could be lazy if I wanted to.  I'll try to do better)
Words In July: 15,713

*That reminds me, Big Anklevich sent me a link to a song with the line "I'm just an outcast" in it, suggesting I use it as intro music for my show.  I thought that was helpful of him, even though I have, like, five different intro songs that I shuffle through each time.  I wonder if listeners would like it better if it were the same song every episode, or if they enjoy the variety (I only listen to two or three podcasts anymore, but one of the ones I like has the same song nine out of ten episodes, but on that tenth episode, they play a different version . . . and that always thrills me, mostly because the rare song is much better than the usual one).




No comments: