Thursday, July 15, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 530

So, today was the day I spent with Jeff (as soon as I got a little work done in the morning).  We spent it driving, eating, watching stuff, eating again, chatting.  We caught three more episodes of "Supernatural," but it had been long enough we couldn't remember what was going on in the mythology of the show (and they don't do a "Previously on 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'" at the start of each episode . . . or if they do, they're not included on the streaming version).


Jeff and I started watching "Supernatural" together about 2015 or '16, and we were doing really well on it.  At that point, it was a seven or eight season show, still wildly successful for the CW, but we were watching it at a much faster rate than they were making it.  But then he moved away, and we could only watch it when he came home to visit (of course, we could have watched it separately whenever we wanted to--something we considered, but never got around to), and our rate of views became not two seasons a year, but two years a season, maybe.

Of course, the show went off the air last year (with Season 15), so we can catch up now.  But at this rate, we'll see the last episode around 2026 or so.

And by that point, the spin-off show might be in its second or third se--  Nahh, the spin-off show won't last more than a year.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 1678

We also watched an Italian exploitation film called (deep breath) YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED DOOR AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY, which is a fabulous title, but not supremely great as a movie.*  


It was directed by Sergio Martino, whose most famous film was probably the 1974 Giallo TORSO, but I had never heard of him, and maybe seen one of his films.   thriller that was based on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat," but really doesn't touch on that story until the end.**  But wow, it was something.  It was extraordinarily talky, but every time you might get bored, there was either a murder or nudity, or both!  The story seemed made up on the spot, with characters that show up and disappear without warning, and a sense of pointlessness that persists until . . . well, it doesn't.  In the end, I was very entertained, and happy to have watched it with my friend.

Push-ups Today: 50
Push-ups In July: 1825

Every time I see Jeff, probably for a dozen years now, we hang out until he says, "Well, I'm gonna have to kick you out now," because he is a morning person and gets tired late at night (he always phrases it like that too, always).  This visit was no exception.

However, because it was a hot night, we went out onto his porch, and said our goodbyes there.  But then, we started talking (mostly about death), and eventually sat down on the porch and chatted for a good hour, until he finally sent me on my way.  That was pretty cool, even if he did complain about how hot it was (about 83).

Because we hung out so much, I had done no exercise or writing for the day, and had to fit it in when I got home.  Unfortunately, my nephew was having a sleep-over in the living room (where I usually do sit-ups and push-ups), so I had to do them on the floor in my room, which was much, much, much harder . . . leading me to think that, in August, I'll set a goal for doing push-ups on a hard dirty floor every other day, to see if it makes me stronger).  I also wrote a little bit--not much, but hey, I didn't intend to.

Every little bit counts . . . I tried to convince her.

Words Today: 355
Words In July: 13,912


*Still better than the Loki finale, though.

**I was delighted to find that "The Black Cat" was first published (way back in 1843) in The Saturday Evening Post.

No comments: