Tuesday, July 13, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 528

Harrison Ford's birthday is here again.

As a child, today, July 13th, was probably my second-favorite day of the year, after Halloween.  Now, it's not up there anymore.  Getting older is no fun, as you well know.  Even though I have exercised literally every single day for the past year, even when I was tired, even when I was sick, I'm still weak, still fat, and getting weaker.  And every time I look in the mirror (all those lines in my face getting clearer), I find more white hairs.  But hey, what can you do?  Unless you're Paul Rudd, you're going to get old one day.*

Sit-ups Today: 101
Sit-ups In July: 1378

Cathexis, my niece, brought over two boxes of donuts today, spelling out, well . . .

That was very nice of her.

My mom offered to take me to lunch, and we got Chinese.  It wasn't terribly expensive, but I'll probably still burn in hell for letting her buy for me, when I should do more for her instead.  I even got a drink (which are insanely overpriced), and when the Coke Zero had an "out of order" sign on it, got Cherry Coke, which was my favorite drink when I was a teenager.

I had told my mom that I wanted a bicycle for my birthday, but not a new one--a new used bicycle.  She and I drove over to this place that sells such stuff (run by a mysterious, slightly-ominous man named Leland Gaunt), and they did have a new used bike, that they'd gotten in that week.  It was even red.

We bought it, went home, where I put a bike rack on the car, packed my nephew (the four year old) in with me, and drove back to pick it up.  My mom had bought it sight unseen, but I didn't care, it looked fine to me, and I hope to actually get some riding done before it cools off.  I did ride it around the block, and noticed a warning on the top:

Remember how my cousin remarked that I had never been one to obey rules?  Well, I vowed, as soon as I saw the note, to never wear a helmet, always ride at night, and toss the owner's manual in the trash as soon as I got a chance.

Evil is good.

Push-ups Today: 50
Push-ups In July: 1579

I'm not going to the cabin tomorrow because my friend Jeff is in town.  It's his parents' fiftieth wedding anniversary, and they flew out from Germany to celebrate, and he's set aside a day for us to hang out before he has to fly back on Friday.  I told him I could skip the cabin this week, although it sounds like my brother might have work for me to do on Saturday, so I could go down then and come back Sunday.  We'll see.

So, I had quite looked forward to seeing the series finale of "Loki" tonight for my birthday.  Luckily, it didn't drop until after midnight, so technically my birthday wasn't ruined by a truly terrible episode to a show I was really enjoying.  It IS just the season finale, rather than series finale, though, so I suppose there's room to recover.  Still, I look forward to hearing how other people reacted, since I've heard fanboys bitch about BLACK WIDOW, "Lost," "WandaVision," "Battlestar Galactica," and a nearly-deafening litany of complaints about THE LAST JEDI and THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, neither of which were this bad.  

Words Today: 777 (I didn't intend to reach this number, but when I did, I stopped writing.  Can you blame me?)
Words In July: 12,553

*Unless you're already there.  In that case, congratulations.

2 comments:

Big Anklevich said...

It is pretty sad to see Harrison Ford getting older year after year.

Rish Outfield said...

You're darn right. But when seventy-nine years old I reach, look as good I will not, eh?