Sunday, July 18, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 533

It's Sunday today.  Last night, before I went to sleep, I thought, "First thing tomorrow morning, I'll write, so I get that out of the way, and can do whatever I want to throughout the rest of the day."

It was smart--like when I went hiking the first Sunday of the month instead of the last day (or day after, technically) like I did in June--but of course, I woke up, twenty minutes before my alarm went off, and by the time I remembered it, it was eight hours later.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 1889

So, I took my nephew out with me when getting lunch and looking for toys, and he can be a handful.  He's thirteen, and pretty manic, and everything has to be entertaining for him, so if I have to stop for gas or check at a Walgreens, and there's nothing in it for him, he's pretty bored.  Luckily, he has a phone and headphones he can bury himself in, but that frustrates me to no end.  Because he's with me, I can't listen to my audiobook or buy a single soda, but it's not like I have human companionship or conversation with him there.  

Guess it's like taking a baby with you, just with none of the cuteness.

Still, I know a day will come--and soon--when he won't want to go with me at all (his dad had gone golfing with my brother, and I know my nephew wanted to accompany them, but his dad said he couldn't, so I guess I was the consolation prize), and I'll complain about that too.

We stopped at Little Caesar's Pizza, which is a national (international?) pizza chain that a lot of people (my cousin among them) claim tastes like cardboard (or homeless guy taint, according to Algar Van Cluth).  But I have loved it since childhood, and it was the very first job I got fired from, so there's affection there.  They've also had this excellent five dollar pizza deal since I lived in Los Angeles.  

But this time, not only had they raised the price, but wow, the pizza really DID taste like cardboard.  My nephew said, "Ugh, they forgot to put sauce on it," and wouldn't eat more than a single piece, but I had paid for it, so I was gonna eat it all, by gum.  You know what they say about pizza (and sex), but darn, I gotta question that old dictum after today.

Words Today: 365
Words In July: 16,078

So, I did my sit-ups, then had the option of doing push-ups or going on my run next (this was at about eleven pm), and I chose to run.  It was a mistake.  The run was uneventful, except that it's hot and sweaty even after dark, but right before I reached home--literally within feet of the house, I tripped on the sidewalk and went flying, hitting first the sidewalk on my hands, then rolling off into the gutter on my elbow and right knee.  Cement can be harder than it looks, kids.

Anyway, I have to admit that I was on the ground for a good five or six seconds before I finally collected myself and rose to my feet, shuffling the last five yards or so to the front door.  I had scraped my left palm pretty evenly, and my right palm just in the middle, but much deeper.

It's funny, yesterday I said I wouldn't be doing any more push-ups, and today, well, that pretty much came to pass.  I did try, though, and wow.  I was able to do a few, once I positioned myself right--which was hard--but I couldn't put that kind of pressure on my palms, and when I rested on the floor, I couldn't get back up again.  I tried going through that misery twice, and then said, "Nope, that's it, I'm going to go be asleep now."

And I did.

Push-ups Today: 66
Push-ups In July: 2228


*My buddies and I would get two pizzas between us and eat like kings for ten dollars, and whenever I'd ask the employees how long the deal would last, they would say, "No, no," or "We closing at nine o'clock," or when I'd try to ask the same question in Spanish, would pretend my accent was so strong they couldn't understand me.  Fun.

No comments: