Tuesday, July 20, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 535


I've got nothing for you today, but that's okay, I'm going to the cabin again tomorrow, and I tend to blog a lot more when I'm outside the range of any internet.  Is that irony?  I never can tell.

I am getting closer to the end of this story.  I just wasted half a page writing about Devon--the boy with magic--having tried to cast a spell on Taylor Swift while watching her on an awards show.  I remember having a little throwaway line about Swift in my second Lara and the Witch book, "You're In Good Hands*," so I thought that it might be a fun throughline if Lara Demming really dislikes Taylor Swift.  No big deal, but I gotta write about something.


I was thinking about my own personal hatred for Jane Austen (I put in a reference to "Persuasion" in an earlier scene) and thought it might be fun if Lara really likes Austen, as most teenaged girls (who know how to read) do.  What I really ought to do, though, is do like some writers (Big Anklevich among them) do, and make a list of character traits for Lara Demming, little bits and details about her, like the colors she likes, the foods she likes, music she listens to, what she'd like to be when she grows up.  I've never done that with her, and now we're on our, what, eighth story with her in it (if you count the non-series stories like "Frewish Memorial" and the one where she turned the kid into a Pop Vinyl), and I don't really know anything about her other than what I make up on the spot.

Gosh, if I wanted to bore you, I could make a list of her characteristics right here.  Stuff like:

1.  Was always jealous of her hot, dumb older sister.
2.  Is afraid of white butterflies.
3.  Hates beets and anything beets-related.
4.  Excels at English, Art, History, Journalism.  Not so much Science, Math, Spanish, Music, Drama, Computers**, Gym.

Well, that killed five minutes.  I dunno, I gotta blog something.

I have to decide what's going to happen between Lara and Devon.  I've been teetering between letting him get away with his many crimes (because Lara decides that he's a good person, and a lot like her), or having him basically convince Lara that he's noble, and then reveal him to be a predator (and she's got no choice but to condemn him).  I know that the latter is the better decision as far as drama goes, but the jury is still out.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 2139

So, you'd be surprised how many parts of the body it takes to do push-ups.  Or at least I was.  So, I banged up my left and right palm, my right knee, and my right elbow the other night.  Well, wouldn't you believe it, you use both palms, knees, and elbows to do push-ups.  Effed up, really.

Push-ups Today: 50 (all delightfully painful, thank you very much)
Push-ups In July: 2288

So, that girl Kayla that is an identical twin (that I used to bother to no end with twin questions) is back from maternity leave.  And she came back just long enough to put in her two week notice.  

This will be the last week I see her.  She didn't ask about the story (was it a book?) I wrote, inspired by her and our conversations, but has always been kind to me and very indulgent in answering the damn questions that I never run out of.

Oh, she seems to have lost all of her pregnancy weight, and I asked if a) her baby and her twin's baby look similar (they don't), and b) if she and her twin have recovered at the same rate (they have, to the point that they're identical again).

I really like when you meet someone, and they make a difference in your life (or just in your day), and then, even though they're gone, that difference remains.  I'd like to be able to be that person to someone, though it seems unlikely now.

Words Today: 1344
Words In July: 18,924

*Holcomb calls her "Sailor Swift," if I recall.

**Do they still teach Computers as a course in school?  I realize I'm so old, they offered Phrenology and Advanced Abacus Studies in my first year of college.

No comments: