Sunday, May 23, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 477

It was a cold, rainy day today, but actually kind of beautiful.  I took this picture right as I started out my day, and before long, there was only grey in the sky, with no more blue.

I went for a long drive, and discovered that Olivia Rodrigo has an entire album out.  To my surprise, pretty much every single song was about getting her heart broken by that same dude, and expressing her pain with pastiches of other artists' music, like Paramore, Avril Lavigne, and Billie Eilish.

She's just a kid (yes, yes, who has experienced much more of life than I have, thanks for rubbing it in), but I'm currently writing a story about a teenage girl, so I chalk it up to research.

(this is the Target-exclusive version, where she doesn't have stickers all over her face)

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In May: 2312

And speaking of that, I know I sound like a broken record, but I really ought to have finished this story by now.  It's taken me at least a month,* and it reminds me of stories from my past like "New Year's Day," "Birth of a Sidekick," "Strangelove," and "Office Visit," that would take me six months or more to finish, since I really only worked on them when I really, really wanted to.  Not that a month is comparable, but stuff like "The Calling," "The Night Clerk," "Waffle Iron Man," "The Sleeping Princess Wakes," and "The Company You Keep" were written in a mad rush of days, and I really prefer that sort of thing.

Push-ups Today: 173
Push-ups In May: 2633

When I went on my run just as it was getting dark, the sky was grey as slate . . . except directly in front of me while I ran, where a space of blue sky opened up as if to say, "I've been watching you, Outfield.  Better luck next life."  It was cool enough I had to stop and record it, and I guarantee you it doesn't look nearly as good on my phone.


I am circling an ending on the twin story, and I called Big at one point to talk through the final action beat.  I asked him questions about diabetes and he told me about something called hypoglycemia, and suggested I use a screw-top bottle instead of a fast food cup to hold soda.  I tried to write that scene late, late last night (okay, it wasn't even two yet, but I was nodding off while sitting at the keyboard), and managed a bit of it before 

Unfortunately, in mentioning my story "Office Visit" above, I am reminded that this is essentially the same damn story, just way, way, way longer.  Either you die a hero, kids . . .

Words Today: 452
Words In May: 14,401

*I started writing it around the time Kayla the Twin went on her maternity leave, and her child starts school this fall.

No comments: