Saturday, May 08, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 462

Even though tomorrow is Mother's Day, today was my mom's birthday, and her sister organized a surprise party for her in the park of a town, oh, twenty-five miles away.  We all were to bring food, a flower, and some kind of memory of my mother to share.  Turned out a bunch of people were participating, and my Uncle George was driving all the way up from Las Vegas to be here.

However, because it was a surprise party, my sister claimed she was taking her kids to their grandparents' farm, so it would be a small gathering of those who could make it.  And my mom didn't hear about the get-together until Tuesday, and she told her sister she was too busy to attend.  I said I'd drive her down, but she still said she wasn't going.

Essentially, we had to trick her to get her down there, and then I was told that a number of people were running late, and to try to stall getting my mom to the park for a while.  So we went to Walmart, where not only did I insist on both of us going in, but I checked out separately from my mom, so while she impatiently waited by the door, I was slowpoking it at a register with an elderly cashier, instead of the self-serve lines I usually breeze through.  And then we were going to pick up food, during which my mom complained about how late we were, and how upset my aunt was going to be, since she always arrives on time.

I told Mom that I'd gotten a text that my aunt was running late herself, so it was no big deal that we were now twenty minutes behind schedule and hadn't gotten my food yet.  When we got to the park, we were thirty minutes late, but only half of the people had arrived.  Eventually, it was a very large gathering, with way more people involved than I would have guessed (several of them I didn't even know).

One of my cousin's kids was dressed as Miles Morales, complete with mask, and ran around the park, uncomplaining, in a super hero suit.  When, later, my Aunt Blanca was reading everybody's memories of my mom, and Mom had to identify who had written each one, I came SERIOUSLY close to grabbing a piece of paper, and writing, "Living the life of a superhero, with the proportional strength of a spider and a black and red costume, can be hard.  But Aunt Mickey always gave me good advice about how best to use my powers."  

But I think there was probably something less than right with that little boy, and I didn't want to make anybody uncomfortable.*  

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In May: 772

Push-ups Today: 100 (whoops, I meant to go back and finish--I owed 167--but I didn't)
Push-ups In May: 817

Oh, I meant to mention this the other day (but was far too embarrassed).  Do you recall one evening where, instead of writing, I chose to go onto eBay and bid on a bunch of comic books featuring the first appearances of various C-list characters? (oh, and Rogue--she's surely B-list)

Well, I actually won one of those comics, and it came today.  Yes, this is me holding a copy of The Demon issue 7, featuring the first appearance of Klarion the Witchboy.

Words Today: 230
Words In May: 4435

*Even now, I can't predict whether people would have found that amusing or not.  A couple of the younger people might have, but definitely not everybody.

No comments: