Tuesday, May 04, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 458

It's the fourth of May, and lots of people celebrate that now.  I took my nephew to a second-hand store, and they had a whole display of cheap Star Wars items they must have been hoarding over the last several weeks so they could put them all out today.  It was pretty cool to see--and on the monitors of their TVs, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was playing.

One of the TVs was one of those 4k resolution numbers that used to be everywhere, and the image was upscaled for that, so it looked really strange and shot-on-videoy.

I took my nephew (the three year old) to watch the first couple of minutes (honestly, I could've just sat and watched for two hours and five minutes or so, but I didn't), hoping he'd get excited about it.  He didn't recognize anything, not even Chewbacca.  Sad.

Sit-ups Today: 50
Sit-ups In May: 361

I'm still stumbling through this twin story, and still paying for my fool decision to name the main character Layla.*  I decided that, instead of being nicknamed "Lay," her friends call her "L," after the letter (or it could be "Elle," I guess).  But I have never used it since deciding that, so it's always Layla said this, Layla thought that, Layla didn't know, etc..

Except for today.  I was looking over my writing, to see if I had even managed one hundred words (I hadn't), and discovered that the main character's name had somehow become Lara today.  Whoops.

Push-ups Today: 166
Push-ups In May: 450

In honor of today, I took ten minutes (no more, no less) to grab a couple of figures and take a photo in the backyard with them.  I wanted it to look all jungley, so I picked a rosebush that might look like treebranches (not realizing you could see the wall to the neighbor's yard in the background).  Maybe if I had had more than ten minutes to spare, I could've gotten something really special . . . but I didn't.


I actually took three figures out with me, and tried to perch a Pteranodon in the bush so it looked like it was swooping down where Bossk (the big Bossk) wasn't looking.  But it kept falling down, knocking over the other figures in the process.  So I hung it from a higher one and tried to get a picture with all three in it, but it didn't work.

Words Today: 1038 (though I suppose if I really wanted to be a Star Wars fan, I'd have written 1138 words today)
Words In May: 2455


*Obviously, she's named after the Derek & the Dominos song (which has the greatest instrumental in Rock & Roll history), but also, because that twin girl I used to talk to all the time was named Kayla.  I just thought it would be cute (or irritatingly realistic) if two twin sisters were named Layla and Shayla.  Yeah, I don't know what got into me.

No comments: