Thursday, May 13, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 467

After finishing the last books (in the past month, I read "The Thin Man" by Dashiell Hammett, "Later" by Stephen King, and "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" by Ruth Ware), I picked up the latest Cormoran Strike novel by Robert Galbraith.  I think* that when I started the series, Detective Strike was older than me, and now, just a few breaths, naps, and farts later, he's quite a bit younger than I am.  Messed up that.

I have only an hour--less than an hour now--of time here at the library, and I have set two goals for myself: one is to write at least three hundred words (easy if I have a scene I'm passionate about, hard if nothing comes to mind), and the other is to come up with a title for my most recently-finished "Lara and the Witch" story.  

In it, Lara (who I believe I placed in 9th grade in that one) decides to give her English teacher a happy Valentine's Day.  So, I want a romance-type title, if I can find one.**

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In May: 1316

I looked over the list of slogans (a different list than I used the last two times, and the time before that), and found "The company to remember for life," which is the motto of American National Insurance Company.  It doesn't apply to this story (nor does "We keep our promises," the slogan for America Mutual Insurance Company), but they COULD work for stories.

The motto of Western National Insurance is "The relationship company."  And that's the closest one to what I'm looking for on the list.  The problem is, that's not a sentence, just the subject in a sentence, and it makes for a lousy title (considering Lara would be the "company" refers to).

Push-up Today: 169
Push-ups In May: 1504

I continue searching for silhouettes on Unsplash.  Today's photo is this one:

I like it a lot, especially the mist/fog, but it won't work for what I'm looking for, because the figure looks like a teenager, instead of a horribly-burned ghost like Bob Englund used to play.

I got my second COVID shot today (Pfizer, which the eleven year old pharmacist told me was not difficult to spell, despite me saying, "Well, does it start with a Ph, an F, or what?"  To which, she said, "Ph").  They just opened it up to everybody over twelve years old here, and I was about a week late getting mine, but ah well, it's not a race.

Unless it's a race to Krispy Kreme donuts.  I'd forgotten you get a free donut with vaccination card.

Words Today: 339
Words In May: 6921

*Though it could be an old man's faulty memory playing with me here.

**Apropos of nothing, I decided to have Layla's Science teacher in my twin story be the same Science teacher Lara had in the aforementioned story, just a couple of years later.  That does, now that I think of it, mean that Lara and Layla might go to the same school at the same time.  Hmm.  Maybe I'll make a point of including at least one student in common, just to entertain myself. 
Because it *certainly* doesn't entertain you.  (Huff!)

No comments: