Saturday, May 22, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 476

Today, we reopened the cabin for the summer.  It was only a few days earlier than we did it last year, but judging by how little snow was up there, we surely could've done so weeks ago.  However, I have to remember that it's not MY cabin, and even though I used it last year more than everybody else (combined), it's much more my brother's place than it is mine.

During the drive over, my thirteen year old nephew proclaimed that he was going to be providing the music for our drive, and though I told him he couldn't do it until we'd lost the radio stations we were listening to (about ten minutes into the canyon nearly every station cuts out immediately, and the super rural southern stations take over), my sister told him to go ahead.  He played the usual tracks that are his favorites, that Dance Monkey song, the Lizzo "I got a DNA test" song, Circles by Post Malone, and various Hip-Hop songs I had never heard before.

and then my nephew said he was going to play three of my favorite songs.  I was curious what he picked, but he put on Every Breath You Take by the Police, Everything I Wanted by Billie Eilish, and Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi.  Pretty good picks.

Unfortunately, my ten year old nephew asked to borrow my phone while we drove (you can't simply listen to music or sit in silence on an hour-long road trip, understand), and he left it back there so I couldn't take pictures of anything once we got up there.  There were more deer along the side of the road than I can ever remember seeing, and we started counting them once we got to ten.  I believe we reached forty-something by the time we left for home once again.

I was glad to be able to go to the cabin again, even if my brother says we're going to have to re-varnish the entire accessible exterior (that will be weekend tasks for the next month or so).  I was able to sit on the back deck and read a library book for about twenty minutes, though I must admit it was still a little bit cold for me.

It was really windy, and I remember last year, sitting on the back porch, when the wind blew like that, and you could hear it roaring through the distant trees and over the mountain before it reached you, in a very unusual way.  It was blowing so hard that I wondered why all the dead trees didn't blow over (my brother and I cut down a tree right in front of the porch last year worried that it would happen), and my guess is that the wind blows that hard up there all the time and the trees DO fall, I'm just not around to see them.

And no, they don't make a sound.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In May: 2201

I got an email that my local Disney Store is closing next month.  While that's sad news, I don't usually find anything there I like.*  Or maybe I should put it this way: while I don't usually find anything there I like, it's still sad news.  One fewer option for places to go, and it was the place where I once bought a figure and the big, ostentatious Star Wars collector started yelling and complaining and bawling until the manager gave him one (yeah, a grown man in his late thirties pitched a pre-school fit in a store for children).

(this is literally my least favorite picture on the entire internet, filling me with psychotic rage each time.  I would rather see a photo of my family roasted by Stormtroopers, ala Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru)

Once the store is gone, I'm sure will miss the hell out of it, and romanticize it like I have Toys R Us and Media Play, and even terrible stores like K-mart and Shopko.  I do remember, before the pandemic, that Target stores were going to gain mini-Disney Stores in their toy section, but only one of the three Targets around here ever got one.  Maybe that will change now.

Anyway, I drove over to the Disney Store, and maybe I should've bought something, but I didn't.  I went out to my car and sat there, writing as best I could until it got dark and I slouched back home like that unspeakable antichrist in Yeats's poem.

Push-ups Today: 66
Push-ups In May: 2460

I am simply spinning my wheels on this darn twin story.  I wrote a new scene (or heck, maybe it was only part of a scene, if we're being technical), then I went back earlier in the story and wrote another new scene setting up the other one.  I don't know if real writers work this way, but it's the way I've been doing it (I created a character named Perry Dunshire, then went back and mentioned Perry Dunshire in two earlier conversations, so that it would seem like she had always been a character), and while the story is gaining a bit of weight (especially around the belly and arse), it's no closer to being finished than it was when I sat down at the park the other day and wrote up everything I had in my head. 

Words Today: 620
Words In May: 13,949

*There was a girl that used to work there that was startlingly beautiful, and always brushed her hair over her ears.  One time, I saw that she had some kind of mal-formed ear that she was covering up, and I kept thinking about it, wanting to use it in a story sometime.  But never did.  Of course, she's long gone from Disney Store, and soon, I guess it will be long gone too.

No comments: