Friday, May 21, 2021

May Sweeps - Day 475


My back feels a lot better today.  However, every once in a while, tying my shoes, picking up something off the floor, digging a hole to bury another of my other personality's victims, and worst of all, sneezing, will cause a spasm of pain, or maybe whatever's on the threshold of pain.  I mentioned it yesterday, but sneezing is just a natural part of the spring season for me, and I'm surprised, now that it costs me such discomfort, by how many times I sneeze each day (probably four times today so far).*

It's a gross, rainy day again today, with strong winds blowing dust through the air that coats the windshield of my car and leaves everything slightly grungy . . . like my soul.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In May: 2090

Last night, I called Big Anklevich and we did a podcast for my 200th episode of the Rish Outcast.  It was, in many ways, what we used to do every week or two, and I missed it.  We presented a story of mine from 2011, and Big brought up a criticism he had with the story, and it struck me: I'd heard this same complaint from him before.  But I couldn't think of what other story I'd written that was similar enough to it to make him suggest the same change, so as soon as we were done, I went into my old files, finding the 2011 ones . . . and sure enough, not only had he made that particular critique, but I had done a revision incorporating that very thing, and somehow not used it for the podcast version.

Sigh.  So, I figured I'd sit down tonight and re-record that section of the story, going by the second draft, and then splice it into the finished production.  And, while I was at it, I'd have Big voice two of the characters, and splice those lines in as well.  It's entirely possible I can drive down to the cabin next Wednesday and spend all night writing and editing, so there's something to do.  I guess we'll see the 200th episode in June instead of May.**

Push-ups Today: 172
Push-ups In May: 2394

There is a team (very much like the Guardians of the Galaxy) that are sometimes-allies of the X-men called the Starjammers, created by Dave Cockrum, with a bunch of different aliens as members, and, of course, a human from Earth as their leader (Corsair, who is Cyclops's absent father).

For some reason, I was always fascinated by the great big green reptile member of their team, partly because he looks exactly like Marvel's Abomination character down to the gills . . . but mostly because of his name.

  

It's Ch'od.  

For some reason, I wasted an entire hour reading wikipedia entries about Ch'od, the Starjammers, their allies and enemies, Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, and finally, Captain Britain.  One thing that I find strange about that character (who I've been aware of since 1988) is that nobody knows who created him.


One more interesting thing about Captain Britain is that, when he was first introduced in the above costume, the symbol on his chest denotes royalty to Americans, but was the logo on egg cartons in the U.K., and was eventually replaced with the flag costume that's still used today.


Unfortunately, I didn't get anything done here at the library today.  I should be ashamed of myself, having wasted over and hour sitting here surfing the internet, but dude, I just don't care right now.  It's been a fine run, both the blogging and the writing (not to mention all the exercise), so I'm going to give myself permission to slack off today and go home early. 

I hereby give you permission to slack off too.

Words Today: 153
Words In May: 13,329

*The weird thing is, and if you're educated, maybe you can explain why, the most painful thing is the way my body takes a deep hitching breath in anticipation of sneezing (perhaps filling the lungs, perhaps straightening the spine, I dunno), to the point where, a few minutes ago, I actually didn't sneeze at all, just almost did, the jolt chasing it away.

**I guess that means I should start recording songs again, if I'm going down to the cabin every week


No comments: