Monday, March 29, 2021

March Sweeps - Day 422

Not much to say, not much to say.

At least the library is open late now.  I just got here, and normally, it would be closing in fifteen minutes.  But here I am, with time to kill.  Wouldn't it be refreshing if I used that time to write, got my words, then cleared out of here long before they started flashing the lights and banging on the intercom?

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In March: 3079

Yesterday (or was it two days ago now?), I posted a super low-res copy of the poster for NOBODY, which was a pretty enjoyable movie.  There's something magnificent about the poster, though, about that image of Bob Odenkirk getting punched that I'd really like to replicate with myself.  If only I had friends who could help me set it up.

Of course, I could go to the pawn shop over at Center Street and State and call out "By the way, Biden won the election!" and I might get something similar, but who would think to take the picture?

It's absolutely silent here at the library right now.  It is downright scary.  I think the majority of students didn't know they'd be open this late, and all went home, so it seems like it's just me and the creepy homeless guy over there (I say homeless, but I don't know that that's what he is . . . he could be a ghost).

I've only got 82 words so far, but I'm really in the home stretch on this story.  If I forced myself, I could finish it right now.

Push-ups Today: 60
Push-ups In March: 2981

I heard that old Michael Jackson song "She's Out of My Life" today for the first time in, oh, years.  It never gets played on the radio (I heard it a couple of times while living in L.A., but never here), and it's always struck me as amazing and unappreciated (it's the one where Michael's voice cracks on the last line, in a moment you would think Quincy Jones would have cut out, but instead ends the song with*).  

It was the last single off "Off The Wall," in 1980, and the first I heard of it was Eddie Murphy mocking it (and Michael) in "Delirious," his first concert film.  To my horror, I discovered that it has been covered by Josh Groban . . . and no exaggeration, I would never be able to like the song again if I ever heard that version.

I was tempted, hearing it again after so long, to put it on my short list of songs to do in my Storage Unit series, but wow, I don't know if I can pull it off.  It takes a level of competence I may not possess, and probably a bit more pathos than I can currently muster.  I'll stick to writing stories about high school girls, thank you very much.

And speaking of which . . .

Well, I finished the story, right before eight-thirty.  I've no idea if it's good, but I sure like it.  I sure like the Lara Demming stories too.  Maybe if Abbie Hilton checks it out, and we ever speak again, she'll like it too.  Tomorrow, I get to move on to a new story, and probably come up with a title for this one.  Guess I've got to look at that website full of insurance company slogans again.  Weeeeee!

Words Today: 1856
Words In March: 26,017

*According to Jones, they did around ten takes, and Michael would break down in every single one.  Now while that sounds like bullshit (to me, anyway), it sure works for a story.

No comments: