Saturday, March 20, 2021

March Sweeps - Day 413

Today is cold and miserable, with the sky as grey as my soul, and rain that becomes sleet and then turns back to rain.  The gutters are filling up, and it's hard to be motivated to get out and run, or even go to the library before it closes.  But I will.

I made my painstaking, miserably-slow final pass on my "Tales of eBay Horror" video, and tried to save it.  I say "tried" because it said there was an error and stopped.  So I tried again, and a few minutes into it, the program crashed on me.  This happens literally every third time I do a video, so I just opened it again and hoped that I hadn't lost any data.

But I had.  So I had to open it from the last save point (which, fortunately, I had thought to do around eleven-thirty this morning), and try to export it again.  It gave me that same damned error, and I tried saving it to a different folder this time.  It SEEMED to be working, and when I left, it was at 38% saved.  Since they take so darn long, I often have these videos save and then go to sleep, because by the time I wake up, the render is done (or the error has shown up and I have to try again), so, we'll see.*

I've been at the library for half an hour now, and I've only managed eight words.  Whoops, I double-checked, and it's only five words.  And I was feeling depressed BEFORE.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In March: 2029

I accomplished very little at the library today, darn it.

I took a few minutes writing up an author's note for "Meet the New Clerk," the next D&B story I'm publishing (which, I suspect, I actually wrote after "The Last Friday In December," since it refers to events that happen in that story without going into detail, but that's not how it appears on my list), and that made me want to grab my Little Caesar's Pizza story and make sure Meeshelle's last name was Lovett in that too.**  It wasn't.

I then took five more minutes changing every instance of "Little Caesar's Pizza" to "Fat Ian's Pizza," and you know what, I'm counting that as writing words too.

The library closes an hour early on Saturdays, and today was no exception.  It sure seemed early today, as I managed little in the seventy minutes or so I had there.  But what else is new?

Words Today: 781
Words In March: 16,759

I fell asleep in front of the computer, not having done my push-ups for the night (I had already done sit-ups and my full run--despite it being seriously cold out, cold enough I was afraid all the rain would have frozen and I'd face-plant on the cement somewhere), and had to argue with myself about whether to drag myself off the bed and out of the room to do my push-ups.

Luckily, I also needed a drink of water, and used that as motivation to get myself up and out there.  My nephews had built a fort in the living room and were sleeping in there, but by two in the morning, they weren't about to notice me doing push-ups, which were hard when I was tired, but not nearly as hard as they had been in the past.  My uncle used to brag about being able to do two hundred, three hundred, a million push-ups, but doing a hundred and fifty is pretty darn significant for me.

Push-ups Today: 150
Push-ups In March: 2082

*It rendered fine.  Which is a bit of good news.

**Big Anklevich and I both worked at Little Caesar's when we were teenagers, and while I was fired by my manager in my second week, he made out with his.  We always wanted to write stories about working there, and Big actually achieved this, with a pretty cool story called "Little Caesar's Ghost," but it wasn't until 2020 that I sat down and wrote mine, which I'm considering calling "Pizza Triangle."

No comments: