Saturday, March 06, 2021

February Sweeps - Day 399

The weeks are starting to fly past at breakneck speed.  I'm back at the library again, an hour before it's going to close, and everything from email to Wikipedia (to this blog) is drawing my attention away from writing.  I had told myself, in the short drive here (it's probably only six or seven minutes) that I'd get a thousand words for sure, but now five hundred seems like a generous expectation.

I didn't record "Meet the New Clerk" yesterday, but I did open it just now--fixing two typos, and one sentence that was so horrible, I thought I would share it with you:

"You just take your time, dear.  I've been here my whole life, so the people here are place is my family."

If you can make heads or tails of that then you are quite intelligent, my friend.

The story is just over fourteen thousand words long, which means the final version will be between fifteen and seventeen (I would guess).  I've forgotten how it ends (believe it or not) and I'm hoping that Meeshelle defeats the ghost in a clever way, instead of just telling Fred Krueger that he's shit and she takes back all the energy she's ever given him . . . but I suspect that's where I went with it (if you're going to steal, steal from the best).

I really like the character of Meeshelle Lovett.  She has a smart, biting wit that I don't usually give my female characters, but is also super-damaged, which makes me want to give her a happy ending someday.  We'll see if I can get started recording this tonight.

Now, the library closes in forty-five minutes, and I only have 86 words to show for it.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In March: 642

I did finish my edit of "A Sidekick's Errand," with my final correction being that I said "waterfall" instead of "waterfowl" and never noticed it.  If you'd like to listen through and let me know what other mistakes I missed, let me know in the comments.


This is still my mock-up (not the final version Big's doing for me), I just tried it with a different font.  I like this one better, though.

Push-ups Today: 144
Push-ups In March: 599

Well, I buckled down, and was closing in on a thousand words when they announced that it was time to hit the road.  Every week or two I will ask a library employee if they're considering extending the hours back to how they were a year ago, and the answer is always not yet.  Walmarts are now open until eleven, but they still close overnight, whereas one of the things I've done for more than a decade now is go hit a Walmart at midnight, or one, or even two am, especially when I can't sleep.  That was something I did so recently, and yet it feels like a memory of youth, like going to Hardee's and ordering a regular hamburger, but filling it so thick with tomatoes and lettuce from the open condiments bar that it felt like a Big Mac, or calling a girl on the phone and chatting with her till her parents told her to hang up and go to bed.

Words Today: 1009
Words In March: 5120

No comments: