Tuesday, October 04, 2022

10/3 & 10/4

10/3

I worked most of the day, and still have a bit of work to do, but now I'm at the library, attempting to accomplish SOMETHING writing-wise (I set no writing goals this month, but in years past [holy crap, the tradition started twenty-two years ago], I would try to write a scary story in October . . . maybe I should make that a goal too).  So far, all I've written is this.

My gmail account has been threatening me the last few months, that it's 96% full, 97% full, and now is 99% full.  I've tried deleting worthless emails (I still have eBay correspondence from a decade ago--or at least I did until now), and no matter how many emails I delete, it's still stuck on 99%.  

Only SLIGHTLY less full than my own storage unit.

And then I realized I'd never checked the Sent folder, only the Received ones.  So I clicked on it, and there were over ten thousand emails in the Sent folder, dating back from 2007.  Well, I started deleting them as fast as I could, but I was often tempted to read them (in the days before smartphones, I'd email my cousin stuff I'd normally text him today), and I stumbled across a script I wrote for a fake ad for the Dunesteef, for a breath enhancement pill (in 2009 or so).  You probably don't remember it--in those days, I had the energy to write little sketches and bits for us that either wouldn't get used, or if they did, were only heard by ten to twenty people.  But I was amused by the fake commercial, so I pulled it out and stuck it in my next Outcast episode, which Big and I did together.  Now it will reach, well, five to ten people!

Exercise: Yes (3)

10-4

I've REALLY slacked off with the audiobook this past week.  I got onto every one of Abbie's requested relines (except one, which came in right after I'd dismantled the microphone), but I haven't edited a single chapter since coming home from the cabin last week.  That puts me way behind . . . but here I am, with a goal of editing at least three chapters today and two or three more tomorrow.  I even set my alarm for an hour early this morning so I'd have a little extra time to work.

My sister's family came up here last weekend, and I asked her if she saw any flies.  She said no, so I assumed they had all died.  But nay, there were hundreds of them waiting for me--not as many as last week, but still enough that I've swatted and vacuumed up fifty or sixty.  And they're still buzzing around upstairs, where I'd need to set up a ladder to get to them (I've not ruled that out, there are that many and they're that disconcerting).  So I don't know what to say about my sister's mental state or visual acuity.  Except that she accused me of leaving the front door unlocked last week, when I know I didn't.  The reason I know is because the door doesn't always lock when you think it has, so I make it a ritual to always yank on the door handle three times before I leave.  And yes, often on the second or third yank, the lock does slip and the door does open, but now I'm worried I'll have to start yanking five times.*

I got two and a half chapters edited, but I don't think I'll make the last half.  I suddenly came over extremely tired, to the point where it's taking me way longer to type this out.


I've been trying to exercise as often as I can these past two months (though I'm nowhere close to where I was during 2021), and so I drove out to the dam to do my traditional run tonight (I did consider staying here and just riding on the exercise bike, out of sheer laziness--I wanted to get the latest "Delusions of Grandeur" episode edited for Marshal, and of course, "Arcove's Bright Side," and for the first time this year, when I reached the end of the dam, I didn't feel like I was going to collapse, die, or need to sit down (there have been times when I've sat for a good two minutes or so before turning around and jogging back).  So, either the running is paying off, or somehow the elevation has dropped two thousand feet.  Both are equally likely.

Exercise: Yes (4)

*That's okay, though, I've had a lot of years' experience yanking.



No comments: