Saturday, October 15, 2022

10-14 & 10-15

I went to my cousin's last night, to catch up on television and pick us up a pizza.  But because of the accident, I wouldn't arrive before the pizza place closed, so he went over and got it (which I appreciated).  We watched "Lower Decks," "She-Hulk," "Andor," and "Werewolf By Night," before I was too tired to continue.  None of those episodes impressed me very much (which I didn't appreciate).

I spent a big chunk of today uploading chapters of the audiobook to Abbie's Dropbox.  But the files are so big, after about three, it would be full, and I'd have to wait for her to clear them out.  To my horror, I found out she's been doing edits to files AFTER I send them to me, so when I make changes to old ones (I keep finding new mistakes, or inconsistent voices [on one, I misattributed a line to Halvery, when it was really Ilsa], and having to go in and fix them--or just removing more of the billion mouth sounds I've noticed along the way) it screws everything up.

But finally, after a while when we were both online at the same time, uploading and removing, I got them all to her.  Except for the inevitable re-lines and the Hollygold lines, which I have re-recorded all at one sitting, so they're consistent.  The book's not technically due till the sixteenth (according to my contract), so I can get those in there by Sunday.

One thing I forgot to mention last night, though it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be, is that, once I'd gotten home, gotten showered, and gotten changed into clean, non-cabiny, non-pee-stained clothes, I went to the cupboard to get my reward (that Bang energy drink I'd overpaid for because I wanted to reward myself for a job well done) . . . and it was gone.  My nephew had found it, stolen it, and drank it.

There might be a metaphor in there somewhere, or it might just be life.

Exercise: Yes (14)

10-15

Yesterday at the cabin, I unloaded all the junk from the back of my car, knowing I needed to get the car worked on this weekend, and I piled it just inside the doors of the cabin, making about twenty trips (no exaggeration).  I figured that nobody would see it but me, when I went back next week.  But my nephew announced today that his family is going to the cabin for the weekend, not coming back until Monday, and I feel embarrassed they're going to get a mess.  But there's nothing I can do about it, and I don't feel like I'm hurting anybody--it'd be like when I was painting there, and left all the paints out--it's just a temporary mess that only my mom (and possibly, my brother-in-law, could get upset about).  We'll see what kind of complaints I get.

Big has finished his novel, which he pitched to me just this spring or early summer.  I guess he's writing hard enough and fast enough that he can do what I have tremendous difficulty doing.  Now that he's done with his book, he doesn't know what to write next, and I told him I would go to the library and send him my word count, to encourage him to do the same.

Well, I worked for a pretty long time on "The Washer Whispers," and managed to get into it.  To the point where, when they did their announcement, I didn't want to stop.  But I pasted the day's writing into an email, then jotted down a little more inside that email.  And it's a good thing I did, because the computer logged me off with five minutes still on the timer, losing maybe half a sentence I had written--if I had been writing it in MS Word, I'd have lost it all.

I stood up, not furious like the last couple of times this happened to me, but still a bit disgusted with the way the system does that, and asked the guys around me, "Did your computers just log you off?"  I expected the answer to be yes, but it turned out to be no.  The guy in front of me said, "I still have four minutes left."  It had only done it to me.  

I had intended to go for a run at about nine forty-five or ten, but got distracted reading online nonsense (I honestly don't even remember what it was now, something about legends of Appalacian Witches maybe), and it turned out to be past eleven when I went for my run.  It was cold out, and I stopped multiple times to look at my phone (there was a YouTube video about the visual effects of the Indiana Jones Trilogy, and somehow they had shots of Before and After), to the point that, I started getting really cold (over the past two years, I've learned that my body takes each pause as an excuse to start sweating).  I don't look forward to running in December and January . . . so I probably won't.

Exercise: Yes (15)

No comments: