Monday, August 29, 2022

8-29

Chunder.

A few years ago, I read a fairly-infuriating article about a woman who decided to drink a gallon of water a day for a month, blogging about her daily experiences as she went.  It was very interesting, at least until the eleventh day, when she killed her husband and children (and her rabbi, who happened to be stopping by to return a Jello mold).*  The article made such an impression on me that in 2020, I wrote an entire story about woman who does the same thing (more of a parody than a story).

I always meant to send Julie Hoverson the story and ask if she'd record it for me, but I never dared.  I also considered recording it myself and adding it to an audio collection as a bonus track, but never got around to it.**

From time to time, I think about the lady's experiment, and how she claimed the water-drinking changed her life.  But I would never repeat her efforts--as Captain Solo said, "I ain't crazy."

Except today, I thought, "Okay, one time I'll try it."  So I filled a container with water, and told myself to drink it down by the end of the night.


I marked in RED
where the water line is in each picture.

It's not a lot of water to look at, especially when you're spacing it out during the day.  And we've all heard that a person is SUPPOSED to drink a gallon of water in the course of a day.  And you might remember that bit on the news, where Miles Teller boasted that he drinks three liters of orangutan urine a day for cardiovascular reasons.  So, doing it once should be easy.



I drank a little bit, then went out to lunch, where I drank thirty-six ounces of Diet Dr. Pepper.  But that doesn't count.


I'll admit that I forgot about the water in the afternoon, and mistakenly drank another twenty ounces of ice water while driving around in my car . . . but not from the large plastic container that I chose for the purpose.

When I came home, and looked in the fridge to see the water jug still 3/4ths full, I knew I was in trouble.  But I said I'd do it, and I was sitting down to record audio, so I made myself chug some every page or two, knocking the levels down quickly.  And just as quickly, I'd have to head to the bathroom, which I think I've done five times today.


Eventually, at about 1:40am, I finished the container, and took one last picture.  I drank well beyond a gallon today (I didn't even mention the apple juice I drank when I woke up this morning), and thusfar, I haven't felt any murderous impulses.  

After reading this blog, you may not be able to say the same.

I only managed 117 words today.  But since I didn't get to the library like I usually do, I won't sweat it.

Arcove or Exercise: Arcove (and Writing-ish)

*Of course, this is a lie.  Just checking to see you were paying attention.

**I finally got around to it . . . in March of 2024.




No comments: