Tuesday, August 16, 2022

8-16

The month is half over already.  Welcome to Hell, kids.

I finished the book I was reading and started on a new book, "Straight Man" by Richard Russo, which I grabbed from the library because I heard AMC is making a show out of it next year with Bob Odenkirk.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Wolfgang Petersen died today.  He directed AIR FORCE ONE, DAS BOOT, OUTBREAK, and one of my childhood favorites, ENEMY MINE.*  For years, he had been attached to an adaptation of "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.  But that's not going to happen now.

Today, my fourteen year old nephew was yelling at my five year old nephew, because he couldn't find his phone.  "What did you do with it?  Where did you put it?" he was screaming.  I was in the middle of recording a chapter of Abbie's book**, but I got up and left my room to yell back, "I will chuck this thing out into the street; you gave the phone to me to charge!"  Parenting must be fun.

That is all.

I sat down and watched the last episode of "Better Call Saul" today.  As usual, the show was pretty corpulent, but well-acted and well-directed, and I'm sorry to see it go. 

682 words today on "Balms & Sears."  And my goodness, I am close to the end.  I'm up over 66,000 words (in fact, if I had tried just a little bit harder, I could've reached 66,666 tonight.  Darn).  I really, really need to go through and give it a polish, try and make it a little less rambly (there are characters who show up, are in a couple of scenes, and then are gone again, until it ends, and I don't think you're supposed to do that, regardless of how they handle it on "Better Call Saul").  But I'm really just aiming at being done, so I can sigh and say, "Okay, now on to something else."

Soon.

Arcove or Exercise: Arcove (and Writing)

*He also directed THE NEVERENDING STORY, but . . .

**Oh, that means the altercation was recorded for posterity, goodie!

No comments: