Tuesday, August 02, 2022

8-1 & 8-2

 8/1

It's a new month, with new goals.  Most of August will be spent working on Abbie's book, and we had our phone conversation today where we talked about the project and how to pronounce things.  It was very positive and we'll see how hard I can hit this thing here at the beginning of the month, so that I can stay ahead of the deadline to finish it.

I know there will be challenges--heck, there were a couple of bits where I thought, "How the devil am I gonna pull this off?"--but hopefully, it'll make a good go of it.  Apparently, she's already got fans anxiously awaiting the book, including a doctor who only has time to listen to the audio.

Also, I've set an easily-achievable goal of writing 3000 words in August, so that I still write SOMETHING, instead of just letting my writing fall completely by the wayside.

My nephew was incapacitated by a migraine today, and was still in bed when I left for the library.  To my surprise, around four this afternoon, I started getting a headache, one of those that is far forward, around my eye sockets.  I took a pill, took a twenty minute nap, and while it's not entirely gone, it's tolerable.  I can't imagine having the kind of headaches he has, or the kind of headaches my wife would get if she found herself married to me.  But cheers to those who suffer and force themselves to function through it.

Well, I got 744 words written when they did their nightly jarring announcement.  Something tells me three thousand will be a walk in the park, unless I completely fall off the wagon.

The end of the day was spent podcasting with Big.  But more on that later.

Arcove or Exercise: Writing (wait, that's not one of the choices!)

8-2

It rained like crazy last night.  It was one of those rainstorms where I worried about flooding, and worried about the homeless dudes who live here at the library (I sometimes see them making their beds on the lawn in between buildings--not at all a bad place to spend a night).*

The main goal I set for August was to either exercise or work on Abbie's book every single day of the month.  Yesterday counts because I did the phone call with her talking about voices and pronunciation.**  Today, well, I knew I wouldn't have time to do much, so I sat down and recorded the opening and closing titles of the book.  It only took five minutes, but hey, I'm still counting it.

After nearly twenty years, I finally terminated my Netflix subscription.  And before you squint and say, "What are you talking about, old man, everybody has a Netflix sub--"  No, I finally had them stop sending me DVDs, since I hardly ever watched them anymore, and when I did, it took me days or weeks to get through them.

Well, I got some writing done (again).  I managed 860 words tonight.  Which puts me halfway to my goal . . . for the month.

Arcove or Exercise: Arcove/Writing


*My brother got called into work because several trees--not limbs, but entire trees--blew over and knocked down powerlines, and he said the entire roof of a storage unit was blown off, so hey, it could've been way worse here in town.

**It was kind of astounding that she knew who every single minor character is, whether they do anything in the book or not (apparently, there are several more books to come, and some of these characters MIGHT have important things to do a year or two down the road).  Me, I sometimes forget entire stories I've written, let alone the names of the characters who appear in them.

No comments: