Wednesday, August 10, 2022

8-10

At the cabin again, and the first thing I did was sit down to edit a chapter of "Arcove's Bri--"

But the sound had gone out on my laptop again.  Oh, goody.  Now, I'd say there's an 85% chance that the sound will come back if I just reboot my system (perhaps even 95%), but I have many, many tabs open, some including stories I'd planned to record (I've got two different podcasts that want narrations and two audio dramas that want character lines [one is over a month overdue]), as well as several articles I'd been planning to read sometime.  It is irritating, but a choice has to be made.

Well, I had two scripts I could record, and read more articles than I should have, and even wrote a bit for "Balms & Sears" which was inspired by the story Big Anklevich is doing on his solo podcast next month.*  But now, before the sun goes down, I have to restart the system, so I can get some of Abbie's chapters edited.

I think I mentioned that CatsCast asked me to do another story for them.  Well, I sat down and recorded it.  It was written by Rati Mehrotra, and honestly, the story was as good as the author's name was hard to pronounce.

I had this idea the other day, to keep myself (and only possibly you) entertained, that I would count all the chapters/sections in the book, and keep track of how many of them I had completed, to see how close I was to done with the project.  There are fifty-two segments, which is an easy to remember number, and I'll ask Marshal if he can give me a status bar I can paste into these posts, to demonstrate my progress.

As of tomorrow (if I remember to stick them in the Dropbox), I'll have completed two of the fifty-two (granted, these are two of the, probably, four easiest bits in the whole book, them being the title and the Introduction, but hey, those need to be recorded (and edited) too.

I edited a chapter and man, is it tedious!  Reading the story was easy, performing the story was precise and complicated, but editing the story is arduous, time-consuming, misery.  

I'm reminded of a podcaster I knew who would record their audio, and then outsource it to an engineer to do all the editing, clean-up, and mixing, and I used to say, "That's like one of those dudes that has a girl in every port, knocks them up, and then never sees them again, because they're on to a new one."

Arcove or Writing or Exercise: All Three

*Because I restarted the system, there was no way to find out my word count for the day, but I checked it weeks later, and today's count was 805 words.

No comments: