Tuesday, September 13, 2022

9-12 & 9-13

I've now got a couple more files to Abbie, putting me at:

18 / 52

By my math, that means I'm just over one-third of the way done.  If I get as much edited this week as I did last week, I'll be at halfway by this time next week.

 Big says the Dunesteef feed expires in twelve days, so, FYI.

My cousin called me just as I was coming up the stairs at the library, so I was pretty rushed for time when I finally sat down.  Big Anklevich mocked me with his sickening number of words for today, so I put my head down and typed as fast as I could.

And kind of a miracle, I managed 1782 words.

Exercise: Yes (10)

9-13

You know, it's been a while (how long?  Shrug, a few months probably) since I was here at the library writing and due to something--a computer crash, them logging me out six or seven minutes early, a mentally ill person calling me Sigmund Freud and then throwing a copy of Biblical Archeology Review magazine at me, etc.--I lost everything I had written.  But I've got a feeling (woo-hoo) that it's gonna be today.

So, what can I do?  Maybe paste everything I've written into an email every ten minutes or so?  Oh, I'll do that thing I did yesterday where I text Big Anklevich what my word count it, as though it's a competition . . . and every time I do that, I will paste what I've written in this email to myself.  Cool plan, Jan.

You might not believe this--I certainly don't--but I got 3250 words.  By the time they did their jarring announcement, I had already typed "the end," in lowercase letters, like I always do.  Pretty cool, even if the story isn't.

I don't know what came over me, but as the clock got nearer and nearer to the moment they would kick us out of the library, I became fixated on finishing the story by then.  And either the ticking clock motivated me, or thinking about the story while mowing the lawn and exercising helped me, because I blew any previous writing productivity away.

The bad news was, I had spent my free time writing, so I wouldn't have time to go home and eat AND get some exercise in before driving down to my cousin's.  I could do one or the other.  So, I chose to eat, but I figured I could do a bunch of push-ups and sit-ups in the living room while I waited for my food to cook.  Except my sister was in the living room, watching something on her laptop, and the days of me getting my exercise in with other people around have apparently fled me.  So, no exercise (even though I used to do some at my cousin's house while he was upstairs tucking his youngest daughter and wife into bed, and it didn't even occur to me to do it tonight).

Exercise: No

No comments: