Sunday, September 11, 2022

9-10 and 9-11

9-10

I saw a car in the Target parking lot, with "Help Me!" written on the windows, front, sides, and back.  Kind of upsetting, I dunno.

Horror of horrors, I caught myself in the reflection

Just a reminder, my goal is to get the whole "Arcove's" book recorded this month (I'm well on my way), to exercise twenty-five days, and to finish one of my writing projects.

Exercise: Yes (went for a run)(8)

9-11

I drove up to the city today and found myself in a part of town I didn't recognize it (directions have never been my strong suit, as Big can attest with the many, many, many times I've referred to cities we were in by the wrong names), and asked my phone to direct me to the nearest Burger King.  The effing thing first tried to take me forty-two miles out of my way, so I had to ask it again and again, ultimately finding a street sign and telling it to find the nearest Burger King from there.

It told me, I drove up there, parked, got out of my car, and walked up to find . . . a sign on the door that said they were out of meat.  The door to the lobby was locked, so I trudged back to my car just as a pretty twenty-something pulled up in her little car.  "Hey, it's closed," I warned her.  "There's a sign that says they have no meat."  She didn't even hesitate, instead telling me, "I'll just get nuggets," and walking up to the building . . . where an employee inside the restaurant opened the door for her.  It sort of blew my mind, and as I followed my phone to the NEXT-closest Burger King, I kept thinking about what had just happened.

I ended up sitting in the other Burger King--in a neighborhood where English was clearly not the native language and it took me fifteen minutes to get my meal even though no one else was in line with me--trying to come up with a story where I could talk about Burger King having no meat.*  Ultimately, it came to me: I could write a story where a man takes his new stepson out for lunch to get to know him, and when they get there, the restaurant is out of meat.  That would click the box for the plan I had made about depicting a positive step-parent/step-child relationship.

I ended up writing two sentences on it when I got home before being distracted with something else (my eleven year old nephew had gotten a ball or something stuck on the roof and had gotten his also-eleven year old friend to carry a ladder onto the back deck so they could climb up on the roof to get it).  But it's the thought that counts, as always.

Later on, I had the option between going on a run and recording more chapters of "Arcove's Bright Side."  Ultimately, I chose . . . both.

Exercise: Yes (9)

*I actually had this happen one time before, when a big group of us went to the amusement park up north, and all met at Burger King to eat, only to find they were out of all meat, including chicken (didn't ask about the nuggets, though).

No comments: