Friday, December 08, 2023

Bundling, Sure . . . But Is It Easy?

So, I went ahead and published the text version of my Lara & the Witch novella, "Bundling Made Easy."  This one takes place (mostly) during Lara Demming's junior year of high school, and deals with her falling for a handsome basketball player named Scott.  But everything is great--too great--and Lara waits for the other shoe to drop.

This was the third story I wrote in the series, before many of those I've already published, and immediately I went back and started writing stories to fill in the three (or four) year gap between "You're In Good Hands" and "Bundling."  Just this year, I wrote another one that takes place during that gap, and started two more.  There's also a novel I wrote that takes place after this one, but it'll surely be a while before I publish it.


The reason I'm mentioning this at all is that, in the time since I last published on Amazon, the dread spectre of A.I. has risen its mostly-digital head.  They asked me if any part of the book had been written or illustrated by A.I.,* and when I said yes, they made me detail every bit of it, and wouldn't accept nothing for an answer.  Seriously, it would NOT accept nothing when it asked what percentage of the book's text was created by A.I., and finally, I had to write "Some/Very Little" and then typed "None" in the space for more information.  And then it did it again for the illustrations and again for the cover art (in retrospect, I understand why they'd ask that--since people are pants-pizzingly terrified of A.I. right now--but I seriously considered simply lying and saying that none of it was A.I.-generated, just so I could skip the step).

I went back and added a link to "Bundling" in the text of the first two stories, and they too now asked how much A.I. was in them, before I was allowed to proceed.  Luckily, those were clearly zero, and now I wonder if I shouldn't eschew A.I. altogether in the future, because what if the A.I. programs' owners start demanding they get a share of every bit of entertainment that used their algorithm.  Or maybe I should just avoid A.I. altogether in the future because it's the moral thing to do.  Hmmm.

De todos modos, if you'd like to buy a copy of "Bundling Made Easy," it's available HERE.


*The cover was created by the A.I. program Perchance, and then Big put my name over it.

No comments: