Tuesday, September 17, 2024

They're Here Already! You're Next!

Yes, just a throwaway post about the Monster Cereals returning to stores . . . or is it?

Over on the Journey Into... podcast, Marshal and I have reviewed INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, the 1978 remake, and one of my favorite horror films.*


It's a familiar story: people are acting strangely, seemingly changed from their usual personalities, and two coworkers at the Health Department, Matthew Bennell and Elisabeth Driscoll, try to get to the bottom of it.   Is it paranoia, mass hysteria, a vast conspiracy, or just the fraying of our increasingly-insular modern society?

This is the version set in San Francisco, and it's probably the best movie we've reviewed on this show--almost nothing in it doesn't work, and it's filled with familiar faces, such as Leonard Nimoy, Veronica Cartwright, Robert Duvall, and Jeff Goldblum.  There's even an appearance by Kevin McCarthy, repeating those famous words from the first version (that I got my title from).

Check it out HERE . . . but only if you've already seen it.  After all, you're next.


*In fact, it might be my favorite remake of all time.  People are always making lists of movies where the remake is better than the original, but with the exception of THE BLOB (1988)--which I haven't seen in thirty-five years--I always disagree.  Yeah, I know.  But INVASION '78 is the only one where I have to nod and say, "Yeah, an excellent, excellent flick, despite how much I love the original."

No comments: