Wednesday, June 19, 2024

I Finished Another Story . . . Eight Years Ago

I was looking through old files today, trying to find a reference to a Broken Mirror story to put in an author's note (Big reminded me we did two other BMSEs that I had completely forgotten about), when I stumbled upon a story I started writing fifteen or so years back about a guy who falls in love with a ghost, namely that ghost from the story where someone gives a girl a ride home, and she turns out to have died on that bridge or stretch of road, x number of years ago . . . on this very night.  You know the one.  I had really liked my spin on the premise--that the character from that story goes back to the bridge to see the ghost again, and again, and again--but I had struggled while writing it, and after a year or so of work on it, I ultimately abandoned it.  Sound familiar?

Of course it does, because it sounds exactly like something I would do.  So, to my surprise, I saw a file called Beware Hitchhiking Ghosts from July 2016, and opened it to see how much of it I'd written.  Was it just the first part?  The first chapter?  The first three or five or eight chapters?*  Oh, I said, to my surprise, and here comes that part: it was finished.  It had a beginning, a middle and a "the end."  And I'd forgotten I finished it.  

Which is extremely good news . . . except that now I'm worried that it's NOT actually done, that I got bogged down with the relationship part, and just skipped to the final chapter, wrote it, and left it at that.  


Except that's not what I do.  It's almost a superstition thing that I NEVER type "the end" unless the story is completely finished.**  So it would be out of character that I'd type that, without doing the heavy lifting first.  And I'm all about character, ain't I?

To be continued...



*That's what I remembered.  

**I also, superstitiously, do not capitalize "the" and "end," for some even odder reason.


No comments: