Thursday, May 09, 2024

Uh Oh, Now I'm Committed

Or should be, anyway. 

I keep sending Big possible cover art for stories I've written, to see how they'd look.  Some have been so-so, some have been horrible abominations*, but some are rock-solid.

This one, though, that he just sent back to me, gives me pause:

This isn't the exact image he sent me, because I tried
 pasting a new mushroom into his hands, then
accidentally hit Save.  The sentiment's the same, though.


You see, it's one of many I've sent him and then dismissed, because it would be for a story, "Accept No Substitutes," that I haven't written yet.  It was the first of three Lara & the Witch story ideas I came up with in 2023, and the only one I haven't turned into a finished tale.  

In it, Lara Demming gets a new substitute teacher (for Mr. Seckler's Science class) and there's something sinister about him, something that sets off her admittedly-limited supernatural alarm bells.  Turns out, he's someone (or something) Old Widow Holcomb is familiar with, and happens to be  much more powerful than she is.  

Gosh, it sounds so good when I logline it that way.  But I never wrote it, only the first chapter or so (it's got to have a happy ending, right?  And not contradict the other stories I've written in the series, so I need to figure out where it's going before I just strongarm my way through it).

But now that Big has sent me this quite-excellent cover image (the original image had him holding an apple, but I like blue mushrooms), I feel like I'm semi-committed to.  If Big were to, say, send it to me again with the title, byline, and "A Lara & The Witch Story," I'd absolutely HAVE to write it.

Hint, hint.


*I've written an entire post with images like this one, of a young woman raking leaves:

Don't make me angry, Mr. McGee...

Or this one, of a teen girl hanging a banner in a high school hallway:
Well, that's sort of right.



1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

Which one did you want me to use for the cover. You said that the one you posted was not the original image but one you changed and then accidentally saved over. Do you want me to use that nevertheless? Or should I go back to the old one before the save? And if so, which one is that? The images are all still in the email, so they can be retrieved. Should I use the one where the teachers fingers are huge and bulbous? Or how about the one where he's holding the giant half mushroom/half apple?