Monday, November 07, 2022

11-7

Day 15

This morning was probably the low point of the entire trip.  

I awoke AGAIN at right around four am, my back in such pain that it was hard to even roll over.  I'm pretty sure these upper compartments are for luggage, not children after all.  Luckily, Big Anklevich was still awake (it was only nine pm for him there . . . not sure how, since my math said it had to be midnight or at least eleven in Texas), and he texted back and forth with me for an hour while I hoped that Jeff and Emily would wake up right at five like they usually do, and I could come down and sit with them, giving my back a break.


And true to their wont, they soon were awake, and I came down and sat next to them, sitting and dozing while they chatted, until the porter brought bread and jam for our breakfast.  We watched the passing scenery (once the sun came up) from the train's windows, and having passed through Austria in the dark, were now in Germany once again.

Even now, hours later, I can feel the sway of the train, even though I'm in the guest room in Jeff's apartment.  Yesterday, at the train station, I could feel the rocking of the boat, even though we were ostensibly on dry land there.  So weird.

Big said that he was still writing daily, even though I hadn't written a darn word since leaving the country, so I MIGHT get some done today, but the blog is taking priority, since the stuff I'm doing is rapidly fleeing my mind, and the writing will always be there.

At the Munich station, it was cold (the train station is outdoors, prompting me the other day to wonder what it must feel like in January), so I stepped away from Jeff and Emily to put on my heavy sweatshirt, the one I'd only worn once this whole trip, when it was drizzling in England.  Well, it was apparently a mistake to wander away from my group (and backpack), because the Polizei saw me--there were four of them--came up the escalator, and asked me for my papers, just like in the movies.

Well, they asked me in German, and luckily, the one speaking also spoke English, because they followed me to my backpack, where I gave them my passport, and he looked it up on his phone, verifying I was who I said I was.  Then they left, but Jeff said they're always looking for people traveling alone, especially those without bags.

Besides the ones under my eyes, I mean.

Before too long, our train to Stuttgart showed up, and we were on our way once again.  I was next to the window, and watched the scenery passing by, lots of green fields, forest, and quaint little European towns with 19th century architecture and towers with clocks on them.  This was what I imagined Germany looked like (and France too), and I was not disappointed.

We got back to the Stuttgart station, walked to the bus stop, took the bus back to the stop in front of Jeff's apartment, and walked in.  The shirts I had ordered for me and Jeff to wear to the Paris catacombs had still not arrived, and indeed, I doubt they'll ever arrive now.

I took three pictures out the window of my room, at different times of day.



We all got showers and changed into clean clothes, and Emily made another excellent meal (this one was burritos, I think, but that might have been the next night), and even I went to bed at a reasonable hour that night.  The adventure was all but over now.

No comments: