Sunday, March 29, 2020

My Voice On "Elsie At 30,000 Feet" By Tim Pratt

My buddy Marshal Latham was kind enough to send me a story the other day, asking if I would narrate it for his Journey Into... podcast.


When I say "he was kind enough," you may think I'm sounding facet--sarcastic*in saying Marshal did me a favor assigning me voicework for no pay.  But no, take it at face value.

Because "Elsie At 30,000 Feet" was such a good story that I felt truly honored that he picked me to narrate it.  I even tracked down Tim Pratt to compliment him on the story (and ask him about it).  It was an homage, of sorts, to "The Twilight Zone," and the kind of story I would write, if I were just a bit more talented than I am.

It tells of a sort of everyman, Gustavo, who gets on an airplane, and a strange woman, Elsie, sits down in the seat next to him.  She seems simply eccentric at first, but later, reveals herself to be something more sinister.


Tim Pratt wrote my favorite episode of EscapePod ever.  And the two Christmas stories I got to perform over on PodCastle (by him) are my two favorites there.  And now, well, here's a story I loved so much I wish I had it to perform for my own show(s).  But I got to voice the main character, and that's quite enough.**

Although, Christmas came early (along with the end of the world) because Marshal also had me come on as a guest on this episode, and we talk about the story and "The Twilight Zone" (specifically, the 2019 pseudo-retelling of "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet").

Check it out at THIS LINK.  Tell 'em I sent you.


*I don't use that other word.  I was told once, if I ever said it, then Sean Connery would die.

**Because of the way I do things, I did perform the whole thing and all the characters before I sent it to Marshal.  So I have that version to set aside and break glass in case of emergency.

1 comment:

Tom Tancredi said...

Wrote 400 words. Hands are numb.
tongue is numb.

taste is gone.

This is was it feels like to write.