Sunday, April 28, 2024

Only Real On Paper

One of you keeps suggesting I create a physical copy of one (or all) of my books.  I have fought, screaming, weeping, and filling my diaper the whole time.

But no more.

As you know, Clob, Big has been putting out hard copies of his books, and told me that, since he's in the middle of a publishing whirlwind lately, if I sent him one of mine, he'd do the formatting of it for me, for the bargain price of a free copy.

Having physical copies of my work hasn't seemed to be a priority for me, even though there was at least one guaranteed sale.*  

Not only did Keith buy one, but he took a selfie to announce that he'd bought one!

Well, I had just published "Female Protagonist," which was an eighty thousand-word project, which seems like a good size for a paperback, so I sent it Big's way.  And it turned out to be much more of a process than I expected, to the point where my ego hesitates to ask Big to do another one for me.  But hey, it was very generous of him to do this, and I ought to order a few copies to sell along with action figures throughout the rest of the year, or send to the people who have crossed me in the recent past.

To my surprise, Amazon asked me what I wanted the book to cost (you see, in Audible, it doesn't ask, it just stamps an arbitrary cost on there, depending on how many hours it is), and I honestly didn't know.  Maybe it's too much, maybe it's not enough.

You can buy it HERE . . . if you like your books physical, and your protagonists female.

P.S. Big messaged me today, saying I had priced the collection so low I would only make a buck or so on each copy sold, but when I initially made it available for sale, I looked to see what his collection was going for, and marked mine slightly higher than his.  Turned out, I was marking my physical copy slightly higher than his digital one.  Whoops.


*I used to print out a copy of every screenplay I wrote, as soon as I finished a new draft, so I could have a copy on my shelf.  But a few years later, I took them down and used the backs to print shipping labels on.  I just had no need for a physical copy of my own work, you know?

No comments: