Tuesday, November 10, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 283

I was talking to somebody today who was super excited that they've started playing Christmas music again.  I expressed the opposite view and she said, "What, you don't like Christmas music?" sounding (perhaps) either hurt or offended.*  I said, "Well, you're young, maybe you've just heard it all less than I have."  She said, "Oh no, I've probably heard it more than you: I listen to Christmas music all year long!  I never get sick of it."  I didn't have any answer to that.  

Do you?

Then she said, "It just makes me happy.  It makes a lot of people happy to listen to.  And people need a reason to feel happy nowadays."  I did have an answer there, so I said, "Well, we got one Saturday."  It was maybe the cleverest thing I've ever said to her, but she did not comment on that.

A couple of minutes later, All I Want For Christmas Is You started playing, and she amended her statement, your honor.  She is not a fan of that particular song, apparently.  "But I respect your opinion," she said, endearingly.  

"Uh, no, you don't," I said, "because this is the only Mariah Carey song that I love."  

You know that I never heard that song before LOVE, ACTUALLY?  Same with "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell.  Sometimes, the way you're introduced to a song makes all the difference in how you feel about it.

But gosh, the bonny lass is totally right in that all of us have things that--whether popular or not--make us happy.  And we should not be ashamed of those things, or embarrassed that something pleases or entertains us, or shines a little light in this dark, dank world we all share.  For example, this has always amused me:

Your mileage may vary.

So, today is Tuesday, and I haven't had a headache yet.  I had to take my car to the shop this morning, and there it sits.  I got some editing done and some writing done, so hey, things could be worse.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 1149

Push-ups Today: 92
Push-ups In November: 359

The other day, I wrote the reunion between Will Choner and the girl he rescued from kidnapping (now calling herself Beth).  She drives him home, and he just stares at her while she talks.  I really enjoyed writing it--the sort of thing that makes me wish I could write every single day.

Anyway, I thought I'd record that bit for you and post it here.  Maybe you can encourage me to finish it, if you were a fan of the first two stories.  Or maybe I'll abandon it, like I do practically everything I start, and this will be the only evidence the tale ever existed.

Enjoy.

I got my car back, sped over to the library, and typed frenetically until they kicked me out (which turned out to be thirty-five minutes after I logged in).  But I got a lot of writing done, and am still digging it.

I was trying to think of a clever name for their finding-lost-items business, and the best I could come up with was Rediscovery.  Seems like the story could be called that too, if I really liked it.  If you have a better one, let me know (and I already decided against Finders Keepers). 

Words Today: 2083
Words In November: 9615

*I prefer to think of it as hurt, but who am I kidding?

No comments: