Saturday, September 26, 2020

September Sweeps - Day 238

You'll hear about people who never give up, who go on, year after year, in pursuit of their dreams (one guy on Facebook will post his weekly progress of stories he submitted to various outlets, constantly making me feel even more under-endowed).  I wonder how they do it.  Is it faith?  Is it some kind of internal resolve they possess that I do not?  Are they just better people?

Well, eff it, I'm not comparing myself to them.  I'll keep doing this for as long as I can, and when I stop, it'll be with pride and a sense of accomplishment, rather than despair and a feeling of failure.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In September: 3917

Push-ups Today: 49
Push-ups In September: 997

I hit the library this afternoon, and wrote until they made their announcement that the place was closing in ten minutes.  Our city has gone from Level 3 (where you can walk around, doing what you want, as long as you wear a mask in businesses) to Level 2 (where you're supposed to stay away from other people, and wear a mask in businesses), and even though it seems to have changed nothing, stores are closing earlier, and the people who refuse to wear masks are really just the super dickish ones.

One day, we'll look back on this year (and whatever comes next) and feel shame for how we handled ourselves and our country.  Except for those who won't.  If the last four years has taught us anything, it's that people can justify absolutely any loathsome behavior in themselves, and still walk around feeling superior to those around them.  I often feel sad that I have no children to mourn me when I'm gone, but since those children won't have to participate in a second Civil War, I suppose I should count my blessings.

At the library, I really got into the story, writing until they closed (well, I saved, emailed myself the file, and exited five minutes before the cutoff, because I didn't want to lose anything if they shut down our computers early . . . again).  It has been super fun, and if I get it out as my Halloween episode, it will eclipse "Todd, Jenny, and the Ugly Doll" as the fastest turnaround between writing a story and getting it podcasted.  Of course, I'm setting myself up to fail, just as I did for my Valentine's Day show, by having a deadline in place that is unrealistic (especially considering I'm only halfway done with the first draft).

Wish me luck.

Words Today: 1784
Words In September: 27,528

1 comment:

Nigel said...

Long time fan here. Just giving you a 'hurrah'. Writing is happening. Fitness progress sounds anti-slouch. Well done!