Sunday, February 25, 2024

Lara Demming is "Here To Help"

Well, I went and put out another "Lara and the Witch" story.  This one is "Here To Help," as is the most recent one I've written, taking place when Lara is fourteen (Ninth Grade, which is the last year of Junior High, at least in the fantasy world I created)--putting it between "The People We Touch" and "The Company You Keep."  In this one, she encounters Perpetua Trevorly, another witch who claims to be a friend of Old Widow Holcomb. She wants something from the girl, something seemingly only Lara can give.

This one may or may not interest you, but I found myself quite moved while performing the end of it last week, having to stop and sniffle and wipe my face, which is pretty unusual for this particular narrator.  As soon as I finished it, I published the text version, which is a good habit to get into.*  In re-reading it for the audio version, it gave me an idea for a story that takes place before this one, and an idea for a later story, probably set between "Bundling Made Easy" (Lara's Junior year) and "When You Need It Most" (her Senior year**).

Once again, Big helped me create a cover I don't have to be embarrassed about.  He seems here to help as well.


If you wanna check it out, it's available HERE.  However, I did go ahead and put out a new collection, featuring the first five stories.  I'll try and write up a blogpost plugging it tomorrow.

P.S. I often struggle with feelings of self-doubt and worthlessness.  I'll read someone else's story (or hear one on a fiction podcast), even if it's mediocre, and think, "I'm not as good as that.  I have no business writing at all."  But today I was editing the audio of the scene where Perpetua Trevorly shows her true colors to Lara on the bus home from school, and I thought, "Dang, that's some cold-blooded Clive Barker-lovin' shit there."  And it gives me a nudge to continue.  If you read that scene, what were your thoughts?

*I did have to write an author's note, but that only took a few minutes.

**This one's not yet available.  I'll try to tackle it in March or April.  Maybe, if I keep feeling ambitious.

No comments: